Interested in an in-depth Veriato vs ActivTrak comparison?
When you have all your employees working from their computer, it may seem extremely daunting to understand how productively they are working.
Fortunately, you can use employee monitoring software to increase productivity.
This software, also known as ‘User Activity Monitoring’ (UAM) software, is useful for user behavior and computer monitoring, insider threat detection, and data loss prevention.
However, with a plethora of employee monitoring software available in the market, it is quite easy to get confused about the best tool for your business.
That’s why, we’ll compare the features of two popular employee monitoring tools — Veriato and ActivTrak in this article.
This Article Contains:
(click on the link to jump to a specific section)
- What is Veriato?
- What is ActivTrak?
- Veriato vs ActivTrak: Feature Comparison
- Veriato vs Activtrak: Final Verdict
Let’s dive in.
What is Veriato?
Veriato is one of the earliest companies to offer an internet monitoring software.
Over the years, it has developed an intelligent employee monitoring solution that can help you with behavior analytics for enhancing employee efficiency.
You can use these insights to elevate your company’s security and resolve productivity issues.
Veriato offers various solutions for remote employee monitoring, insider threat detection, data loss prevention, company productivity, and a lot more.
Their products are:
- Cerebral (previously Veriato 360): AI-powered insider threat prevention software that uses user behavior analytics (UBA) and user activity monitoring (UAM) features.
- Vision: cloud-based employee monitoring software that monitors the productivity of on-premise, and remote employees.
- Investigator: employee investigation software useful for forensic investigators to capture evidence during employee monitoring.
- Ransomsafe: uses just-in-time data protection and other mechanisms to detect and shut down attacks, and protect your business.
The Veriato monitoring solution can be deployed on-premise, on cloud, or through an MSP (Managed Service Provider).
What is ActivTrak?
ActivTrak is an employee productivity and analytics software vendor that helps you understand how employees work, whether in the office, or remotely.
You can use their cloud-based user activity monitoring platform to collect and analyze employee data. You can then use these insights to enhance operational efficiency and productivity across the board.
ActivTrak provides an employee monitoring solution, remote workforce management, workforce analytics, and lots more.
Now that you have an idea about what these tools do, let’s see how they compare in their features.
Veriato vs ActivTrak: Detailed Comparison
Veriato and ActivTrak are two powerful tools that allow you to monitor employee behavior.
Both the monitoring tools provide features for managing remote individuals and teams, which can be particularly useful during the COVID-19 pandemic.
So here’s a comprehensive comparison of their key features and pricing plans:
1. Productivity Tracking
Let’s check out the productivity tracking functionality of the two employee tracking software:
Veriato Vision provides employee tracking and recording of all employee activities to give you an insight regarding any productivity issues.
It helps you analyze which tools work best for your employees, and also gives an overall idea about how and when your employees are the most productive.
The software also provides time and attendance tracking features — which allow you to streamline your processes and distribute tasks accordingly.
Vision allows you to decide whether you want to monitor all apps, or only those related to work. You can then monitor employees individually, by departments or groups, including those who are working remotely.
ActivTrak collects the employee activity data and analyzes it to give you accurate insights regarding employee productivity.
You can assign ‘Productive’ and ‘Unproductive’ labels to common websites and applications. This allows you to have separate ratings for the same website or application, depending on the team’s needs.
You can’t call Facebook time ‘unproductive’ for your social media marketing team, right?
But it could be for your development team!
ActivTrak’s productivity monitoring software allows you to understand employee time utilization, analyze behaviors of top performers, and create workflows that benefit your employees, as well as your company.
Veriato supports time and attendance tracking along with web and app tracking, while ActivTrak uses web and app tracking with a provision to rate the applications and websites.
2. Reports and Analysis
Let’s take a look at the kind of reports generated by the Veriato and ActivTrak:
Veriato provides pre-configured as well as customizable reports that provide clear insights for improving your company’s operational efficiency.
Some of these reports include:
- Application usage: this report provides details such as applications used most frequently, applications where users are spending a lot of time, etc.
- Document tracking: you can use this report to understand which users transfer files to removable devices, the distribution of recorded documents, etc.
- Keystrokes: this report gives information regarding the trend of keystrokes typed, the programs where maximum keystrokes are made, etc.
- Online searching: this report gives insights regarding details of the web search, users who search the web most frequently, etc.
ActivTrak provides various analytical reports that can help you boost your company’s productivity.
You can apply multiple filters such as a specific date range, user, employee computer, etc., to view these reports in real-time.
Some important reports provided by the tool are:
- Application use: this report shows which employees are using what software, and the duration of its use.
- Single-day productivity report: this report provides insights into what your users are doing throughout the day. Depending on their activity, the report provides a time block that displays productive activities in green, unproductive in red, and passive in yellow.
- Passive time: this report shows the duration of a passive user activity. If the user doesn’t have any keyboard or mouse activity for two minutes, it is calculated as passive time.
- Alarm log: this report displays when the alarm was triggered, which machine was used and by which user, the duration of the employee activity, etc.
This tool provides pre-built Business Intelligence (BI) templates, which make it easy for business owners to view the productivity data.
Both tools generate detailed and advanced reports which provide useful insights regarding user behavior at work. Veriato gives built-in and customizable reports, while ActivTrak provides multiple filters for their reports.
3. Website and App Usage
Both Veriato and ActivTrak help track an employees’ computer activity.
Here’s how they work:
Veriato’s Cerebral is far advanced than your regular computer browser history.
Cerebral provides details about all web activities such as webmail usage, documents uploaded, the websites accessed, and the duration spent on each.
You can also track:
- The applications used by your employees, including the most frequently used applications.
- Active applications.
- Which users are using the app.
- The time spent on different apps.
ActivTrak allows you to understand the app and website usage by individuals and teams.
You can gain insights such as the most used websites and apps, and the percentage use of productive and unproductive apps. This will allow you to set usage limits for frequently used unproductive sites and apps.
This feature can also enable you to understand whether there are any apps with similar functionalities — so that you can delete those, and reduce your license costs.
Veriato and ActivTrak support advanced computer activity tracking features. Both tools provide web and app activity monitoring features, and ActivTrak allows you to set usage limits for unproductive sites and apps.
Here’s how the screenshots feature works in both the tools:
All Veriato products provide a screenshot recording feature for tracking the computer activity. You can export these recordings as images or video files, and even timestamp them.
The tool displays three key types of screenshots:
- Alert word screenshots.
- Continuous screenshots.
- Smart camera screenshots.
These screenshots are especially essential as evidence to prevent any insider threat, and also to take any disciplinary actions on employees.
ActivTrak provides high-resolution screenshots for tracking current and past employee activity.
These screenshots provide several vital information, including the number of open tabs, background applications, etc.
You can decide whether you want to record the screenshots of any user activity, or only specific ones.
Additionally, in order to prevent personal data theft, Activtrak’s AI can detect and mask any sensitive information such as social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc.
Veriato and ActivTrak both capture screenshots as a part of employee monitoring. Veriato enables you to timestamp the screenshots, while ActivTrak can help prevent any data theft.
5. Keystroke logging
Keystroke logging enables you to track any employee fraud, and prevent data loss by monitoring all keyboard activities.
However, keylogging is often seen as an instance of employee privacy invasion as it could capture an employee’s sensitive information like passwords.
Here is a comparison of the keystroke logging feature of the tools:
Veriato allows you to record any keystroke, including concealed characters and combinations. This ensures that you can monitor employee behavior of the entire workforce, including the ones higher up in the hierarchy.
You can turn off the keylogger for sensitive personal information like user passwords, credit card information, etc.
ActivTrak doesn’t provide keystroke logging, since it can create concerns regarding employee privacy.
For advanced employee monitoring, Veriato provides keystroke logging functionality. However, ActivTrak doesn’t.
6. Pricing Plans
Pricing is one of the most important factors that may make or break your decision of purchasing that tool.
Let’s look at the pricing of the two tools:
Veriato provides a free trial for all their products.
Veriato Vision is priced at $150/year with support for three to nine licenses, and you’ll have to contact their team for the pricing plans for the other tools.
Offers a free plan with limited features for up to three users.
ActivTrak’s paid plans start at $7.20/user per month (for a minimum of five users).
Veriato is significantly more expensive than ActivTrak.
A Simpler Alternative to Employee Productivity Management
We’ve now compared both Veriato and ActivTrak on several fronts — from how they track productivity to how much their pricing plans cost.
However, there’s another tool you should be considering….
It’s called Time Doctor, and it’s an excellent substitute for both ActivTrak and Veriato.
What is Time Doctor?
Time Doctor is a robust employee performance management and time tracking software that’s used by major companies, like Verizon and RE/MAX, as well as by small businesses, like Thrive Market, to boost their employee productivity.
The tool allows you to:
- Manually track time spent on each task, and individual projects.
- Monitor productivity across different applications.
- Generate and access detailed reports regarding employee time use, website and app use, etc.
- Directly pay employees through different gateways like PayPal, TransferWise, etc.
Moreover, like ActivTrak, it doesn’t provide keyboard activity monitoring, since it can lead to a breach of privacy.
This makes Time Doctor a very safe and employee-friendly tool for boosting productivity.
Time Doctor also has a desktop app for Windows, Mac, Linux platforms, and a mobile app for Android devices. Additionally, its Chrome browser extension lets you track time across several apps with ease.
But is Time Doctor expensive?
Nope, Time Doctor’s basic plan starts at just $8/user per month.
You can also sign-up for a free trial (no credit card required).
Additionally, unlike Veriato and ActivTrak, the Time Doctor time tracking software integrates with more than 50 tools, including Slack, Microsoft To-Do, Jira, Asana, and more.
If you are looking for another product comparison, check out our DeskTime vs Time Doctor comparison.
Veriato vs ActivTrak: Final Verdict
Veriato and ActivTrak are certainly effective employee monitoring software.
While they have quite a few similar features, the main differentiating features are keystroke logging and pricing plans. Veriato is fairly advanced and expensive compared to ActivTrak.
However, if you’re looking for a simpler productivity management tool that gives excellent value for money, we recommend using Time Doctor.
Ultimately, you should choose the tool based on your company’s requirements and budget.
- What You Need to Know About Performance Appraisal Methods in 2021 -
- How to Track Team Productivity and Improve Performance in 2021 -
- 10 Excellent Attendance Tracking Software In 2021 (Features, Pricing) -
- 5 Top-Tier Time Tracking Tools For Freelancers In 2021 -
- Top 10 Team Productivity Tools In 2021 (Features, Pricing) -