Searching for an alternative to Veriato?
Veriato offers products like Cerebral (previously Veriato 360), Vision, Veriato Investigator and Veriato RansomSafe for advanced user behavioral analytics and insider threat prevention.
And while they have handy features like Endpoint Control to lock or remotely access compromised computers, Veriato isn’t the best solution out there.
It’s highly complicated and better suited to a large organization that handles sensitive data. Additionally, its monitoring techniques can be considered privacy violations in some regions.
In this article, we’ll be looking at the top 7 Veriato alternatives along with their key features, pricing plans and ratings from user reviews.
This Article Contains:
(Click on links below to jump to a specific section)
(includes key features, pricing, and ratings)
4 Features To Look For In Excellent Veriato Alternatives
Veriato is a sophisticated platform that tracks all aspects of an employee’s computer use.
However, that comprehensiveness comes at a cost.
Some may consider its monitoring methods too invasive, like the use of keyloggers, which could infringe privacy laws in some regions.
Fortunately, there are plenty of alternatives.
But with so many options, how do you decide on the right monitoring solution for you?
Before you start searching through rows of comprehensive software listings, here’s a quick look at what makes a great employee monitoring software:
1. Accurate Time Tracking
A good employee monitoring tool should have an accurate time tracker — preferably one that can track time down to the second.
An accurate time tracking software can help you monitor employee activity in many ways.
- Measure how efficient employees are in completing a task.
- Use previous task completion times to detect bottlenecks in your workflow.
- Generate accurate bills for your clients.
- Create correct timesheets for your payroll.
- Estimate future project deadlines.
- Measure the time employees spend on unproductive social media sites like Facebook.
2. Detailed Reporting Features
A good time tracking system will give you access to several productivity reports generated from the time tracking data it collects.
This helps you analyze employee performance, verify billable hours for clients and even define future project timelines.
Ideally, an employee monitoring tool should be able to report:
- Idle time usage.
- Web and app activity.
- Work hour breakdowns by task or project.
It’ll be an added advantage if the software can export those reports into CSV, PDF or XLS formats to easily share with clients.
3. Employee Privacy Safeguards
Employees are generally uncomfortable with monitoring software. They feel it invades their privacy, and are concerned that it tracks them even during off-hours.
Sometimes stealth employee monitoring (like keystroke logging) is legal, in the case of data theft or information leakage. However, as it’s mostly seen as a privacy violation, it’s best to avoid such stealth trackers.
Instead, use a tool that respects employee privacy and doesn’t employ stealth features.
Allow your employees to control the start/stop timers, so they know exactly when they’re being tracked. Let them know what is being tracked and give them access to those reports. This enhances awareness of their own workplace behavior, which can help boost productivity.
Additionally, being transparent about what’s being tracked creates employee trust, and also prevents any legal issues from popping up.
4. Can Integrate With Other Software
Another time tracker feature to look out for is the ability to integrate well with other workplace software.
Time trackers that integrate with project management, communication and billing apps can help you streamline your workflow. Not only will this help analyze your employee’s productivity on these apps, but it’ll also show you where time is being spent the most.
The 7 Best Veriato Alternatives In 2020
Here’s a detailed look at some great software alternatives to Veriato:
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is a powerful time tracking and productivity tool used by large firms, like Verizon, as well as SMBs, like Thrive Market.
Available as a desktop app, mobile app and a Chrome extension, Time Doctor helps boost team productivity in businesses all across the world.
Time Doctor can help you:
- Automatically track the time spent per task.
- Monitor web and app usage of employees during work hours.
- Measure employee performance with real time reports.
- Maintain privacy through strict measures that protect sensitive information.
Here’s a closer look at some of Time Doctor’s features:
A) Accurate Time Tracking
Do you want to help your employees be productive?
Then give them a user-friendly tool that they can get started with right away!
Luckily, Time Doctor is really easy to use.
In the manual mode, just enter the task you’re working on and start tracking time with the timer.
Time Doctor will run unobtrusively in the background, tracking your activity. Once you’re done with work or taking a quick break, click on the timer button to stop tracking time.
As your employees are doing this voluntarily, they know they’re being monitored. The entire process is transparent and helps you avoid any legal issues.
Note: Time Doctor also lets you track time automatically — admins/managers can enable this feature for maximum ease of use.
B) Inactivity Tracker
Concerned that your employees are losing focus on their job?
Time Doctor features an in-built inactivity tracker that monitors keyboard and mouse activity. If no activity is detected for a certain amount of predefined time (that you can customize), the timer will stop automatically.
To keep the timer running, employees will need to work actively on their tasks.
Time Doctor also can show you the percentage of idle time of a user – it does this by tracking how many minutes and seconds the user was inactive while the timer was on.
Note: Time Doctor is not a keystroke logger and DOES NOT track which keys were pressed on the keyboard. Time Doctor only checks if any keys were pressed or not.
C) Advanced Reporting
Time Doctor auto-generates several detailed reports that give you accurate insights into the productivity of your employees.
Here’s a quick look at some of those reports:
- Activity Summary Report: Shows the time usage for each employee over a specific period. This includes active, unproductive, manual and mobile time.
- Hours Tracked Report: Displays the hours that employees track over a specific time range.
- Productivity: Calculates the productive and unproductive time employees have tracked.
- Project & Tasks: Shows time spent over a project, who’s worked on what and for how long.
- Timeline: A chronological breakdown of employee work activity across a day.
- Web and App Usage: Lists the apps and websites accessed by an employee during work hours.
D) Web And App Monitoring
Time Doctor tracks all the websites and apps your employees access during work hours. It tracks the root domains and the individual pages an employee visits under that website.
You can also set productivity ratings for any website or application. This way, you can see how long employees spent on these sites or apps to check if they were unproductive. Additionally, this will ensure that your team doesn’t access any sites that violate company policies or are potential data security risks.
E) Screenshot & Video Monitoring (optional)
Time Doctor offers an optional screenshot and video recording feature if you want to monitor employees’ screen activity.
This feature can be enabled or disabled for each user in your organization, as Time Doctor respects each user’s privacy.
Note: Employees can delete any screenshot that captures any sensitive information.
Time Doctor offers a comprehensive payroll system that makes it easy to pay employees and freelancers.
It automatically calculates each employees’ pay based on a fixed or hourly rate. You have the added facility of paying instantly via PayPal or Wise, formerly TransferWise.
The payroll feature lets you customize:
- Payroll period – Set a date range for your payroll.
- The currency – You can choose from a variety of global currencies.
- Adjustments – Make optional adjustments, for example, a bonus or overtime.
- The pay rate – Set the pay rate for each person.
- Method of payment – Use your default payment method or other payment methods of your choice.
Time Doctor easily integrates with tons of tools like Asana, Basecamp or Salesforce. This way, you’ll be able to extend the tool’s functionality to your favorite workplace software.
- Simple, user-friendly interface.
- Accurate time tracking.
- Powerful offline mode to track time during a network failure.
- Strictly privacy and data security policies.
- Can auto-detect potential poor-time usage for any employee.
- Built-in inactivity tracker keeps employees focused.
- Strict privacy and security measures to protect employee information.
- Export customizable reports in CSV format.
- Suitable for any small business as well as large companies.
- Works across Mac, Windows, and Linux systems.
- Mobile apps on Android for tracking time on the move.
- Active online support team.
Time Doctor has three pricing plans. A free 14-day trial that doesn’t require a credit card is also available.
- Basic: $7/month for 1 user – for basic time tracking and reporting.
- Standard: $10/month for 1 user – adds app & URL tracking + payroll and third-party integration.
- Premium: $20/month for 1 user – for additional team management features.
- G2: 4.3/5 (100+ user reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (300+ user reviews)
Teramind is an employee monitoring solution and desktop security software. It offers employee activity tracking and protects organizations from data and information theft.
- Real time activity monitoring, video capture and playback of employee activity history.
- Web and app monitoring.
- Tracks employee productivity and efficiency.
- Secure data centers on Teramind Cloud.
- Software deployment options offered as a cloud service or installed solution.
Teramind offers separate calculations for their Cloud and On-premise solutions.
Cloud is based on user count (5 users minimum) and has a free 7-day trial. On-premise is based on endpoint (10 endpoints minimum) and terminal server count and offers a free 14-day trial.
The pricing tiers are:
- Starter: starts at $60 for 5 users/month – for limited access to user activity monitoring, behavior analytics and policy management tools.
- UAM (User Activity Monitoring): starts at $125 for 5 users/month – supports user activity monitoring, user behavior analytics, audit, forensics, policies and rules.
- DLP (Data Loss Prevention): $150 for 5 users/month – UAM plus comprehensive data protection.
- G2 – 4.3/5 (20+ user reviews)
- Capterra – 4.6/5 (50+ user reviews)
ObserveIT provides large organizations with an advanced insider threat detection toolset that uses employee monitoring and alerting tools. It’s an agent-based software that helps security teams identify user risk, detect data breaches and accelerate security incident response.
- Detailed employee monitoring suite, including USB connection logging.
- Advanced report generation.
- User behavioral analytics and risk scoring.
- Threat signals detect suspicious activity that isn’t attributed to malware or hackers.
- Secondary authentication for identifying shared account users.
Contact ObserveIT for actual pricing.
- G2 – N/A
- Capterra – 5/5 (1 user review)
4. Ekran System
Ekran System is an insider threat protection and employee monitoring platform. This solution offers a robust and stable feature set that makes it an easy recommendation for both SMBs and large firms.
- Agent-based software & optimized for virtual environments.
- Comprehensive user activity monitoring.
- Has identity and access management, and action logging.
- Efficient incident response capabilities.
- Integration with Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), Active Directory and ticketing systems.
Ekran System offers a 30-day free trial. You can visit website and contact Ekran System for more information on custom pricing plans.
- G2 – N/A
- Capterra – 4.8/5 (4 user reviews)
ActivTrak is a cloud-based employee monitoring software. Its software solution has robust behavior analysis features to present a clear picture of employee productivity.
- Analyzes employee productivity patterns to optimize workflows.
- Has smart features for insider threat detection.
- Helps identify which employees are the most unproductive.
- Has a range of useful reports for managers.
- Mobile app available for iPad, iPhone and any Android device.
ActivTrak offers a free and paid version:
- Free: max 3 users – supports an analytics dashboard, user activity monitoring and website blocking.
- Advanced: $7.20/user per month – supports full features.
- G2 – 4.4/5 (100+ user reviews)
- Capterra – 4.6/5 (400+ user reviews)
DeskTime is a Saas time tracking software that helps businesses manage their financial resources by ensuring employees stay productive.
- All-in-one dashboard for monitoring employee activity.
- Automatic real time monitoring.
- Website and application monitoring.
- Offline time coordination via an employee absence calendar.
- Available on Android and iOS mobile devices.
DeskTime has four pricing options:
- Lite: Free for only 1 user – has automatic time tracking, app tracking & mobile app.
- Pro: $7/user per month – Lite + URL & app tracking, productivity and project tracking.
- Premium: $9/user per month – Pro + screenshots, additional team management options, invoicing and integrations.
- Enterprise: $14/user per month – Premium + VIP support, unlimited tasks, projects & data history and custom API functions.
- G2 – 4.6/5 (10+ user reviews)
- Capterra – 4.3/5 (100+ user reviews)
Powertech by software vendor HelpSystems, is a cybersecurity solution suite for employee monitoring. It also helps with managing data privacy threats on the Linux, AIX and IBMi platforms.
Great for large organizations, its products cover the various aspects of cybersecurity, from antivirus tools to an exit point manager software.
- User identity and access management.
- Security and integrity monitoring to detect unauthorized changes.
- Intrusion prevention and detection to secure private information.
- Robust malware and ransomware monitoring.
- Integration with IBMi to extend security capabilities.
Contact HelpSystems customer support for pricing information.
- G2 – N/A
- Capterra – 4.7/5 (1+ user reviews)
Veriato is a sophisticated platform, with a strong suite of products for employee monitoring and insider threat detection. However, its complexity can make it hard to deal with for most organizations.
Luckily, there are plenty of other monitoring tools that are far more accessible.
Just go through our list to find the perfect Veriato alternative for your needs.
While each of the tools on the list offers something unique like risk scoring and behavioral analytics, if you’re looking for an employee-centric, user-friendly tool, Time Doctor is the perfect choice.
Not only does it have tons of productivity management features, but it also has a strong respect for employee privacy – which will help you avoid the legal issues usually associated with employee monitoring.
So before making any other purchase decisions, why not sign up for a free 14-day trial with Time Doctor and experience it for yourself?
Liam Martin is the co-founder of Time Doctor—one of the world’s leading time tracking software for remote teams. He is also the co-organizer of Running Remote, the world’s largest remote work conference.