Todoist is a task management tool suitable for individuals and small businesses.
This task manager helps teams easily manage their tasks with features like recurring due dates, priority levels, reminders, and more.
Unfortunately, Todoist doesn’t support native time tracking.
So, how do you perform Todoist time tracking?
Simple! Through third-party app integration.
In this article, we’ll cover the eight best tools for Todoist time tracking along with their key features, pricing, and user ratings. We’ll also highlight three major benefits of tracking time for all your Todoist tasks.
This Article Contains:
(Click on the links to jump to a specific section)
- Top 8 Tools for Todoist Time Tracking
- Why Should You Track Time in Todoist?
Let’s get started.
Top 8 Tools for Todoist Time Tracking
Before we dive into the time tracking tools, let’s take a quick look at some of Todoist’s key features:
- Organize tasks with Quick Add.
- Add a Priority Level to highlight the most important tasks.
- Set Due Dates for repetitive tasks to build habits.
- Completed Task Archive to track how completing small tasks added up to accomplishing large projects.
- Integrations with online tools like Google Calendar, Evernote, and Slack.
You can also upgrade your Todoist account to enjoy features like reminders, themes, shared team inbox, and more. Todoist premium plans start at $4/user per month.
Now, let’s check out eight tools that you can integrate to track time for any Todoist project:
However, if you want to explore why you need to track time for your Todoist tasks, feel free to jump ahead.
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is an excellent productivity and time management app suitable for both large companies like Ericsson and Verizon, as well as for small businesses like Thrive Market.
Time Doctor’s Chrome extension allows you to easily track time in Todoist.
To do so:
- Create a Time Doctor user account.
- Download the Time Doctor desktop app and sign in.
- Install the Time Doctor Chrome extension.
- Once installed, you will see a timer button next to the Todoist task.
It’ll look something like this:
Now you can press the Start icon to start tracking time for your task and click Stop to stop or pause tracking time. The Time Doctor Chrome extension will automatically sync all the tracked data with the desktop app.
Time Doctor also offers a wide variety of features that make it one of the best Todoist tracking tools. Let’s take a look!
Other Key Features
Let’s check out some other features of Time Doctor:
1. Time Tracking
Time Doctor enables employees to conveniently track their work hours using either manual or automatic time tracking features.
Tracking time using manual mode is simple.
All an employee needs to do is:
- Create a new task or choose from the task list.
- Click the play button to begin tracking time.
- Click the stop button to take a break or when they’ve finished the task.
Time Doctor also provides an automatic time tracking mode that tracks work hours with minimal impact on an employee’s daily routine. You can configure the timer to run as soon as you start your computer or during specific hours.
2. Idle Time Tracking
Time Doctor helps you track the idle time of employees during the set work hours.
Idle time is the period where there is no keyboard or mouse activity detected on the employee’s computer.
The user is gently nudged with a pop-up notification if they’ve been idle for a while, and time tracking is automatically stopped. This productivity app also allows you to configure how long the timer should run when there is no activity.
Note: Time Doctor is not a keylogger. This app only checks if the user has clicked the mouse or any key.
3. Productivity Reports
To help you analyze productivity, Time Doctor generates detailed productivity reports in real-time.
Let’s check out these reports:
- Projects & Tasks Report: Check time spent on individual projects and tasks.
- Activity Summary Report: See the active seconds, minutes, unproductive, manual, and mobile app time for each employee over a selected time period.
- Attendance Report: Shows employee attendance tracking results.
- Timeline Report: See the time spent on tasks and breaks in a day or the whole week.
- Hours Tracked Report: Shows the hours that each of your employees has tracked during a selected time period.
- Custom Export Report: A single report with all custom fields you’d like to include.
- Web and App Usage Report: Track how much time was spent on various websites and applications to ensure productivity.
4. Productivity Ratings
Time Doctor’s productivity ratings feature enables managers to categorize the websites and apps based on their relevance with work.
Project managers can use this advanced feature to rate websites and desktop applications as:
You can implement these ratings for any app or website, and they will be reflected across teams, the entire company, or specific team members.
5. Payroll Management
Time Doctor’s payroll management functionality lets you effortlessly generate payroll and client invoices based on the tracked hours.
Additionally, you can manually upload your payroll as a CSV file to PayPal or Wise to make a quick batch payment.
6. Other Integrations
In addition to Todoist, Time Doctor’s Chrome extension allows you to track time across 50+ useful business tools.
Here are some key integrations:
- Project management: Teamwork, Jira, Zoho Projects, and Trello.
- Customer support: Freshdesk, Zendesk, etc.
- Communication and collaboration software: Zapier, Slack, Google Workspace, etc.
- CRM: Pipedrive, Salesforce, Zoho, etc.
This way, you can use this app with all your favorite tools to track and monitor employee hours and productivity with ease.
Check out other tools that you can integrate with Time Doctor.
And while you’re at it, explore other amazing features of this powerful tool.
Time Doctor’s pricing starts as low as $7/user per month. It also provides a 14-day free trial (no credit card required).
- G2: 4.4/5 (250+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (390+ reviews)
TMetric is a project management tool that allows businesses to track time, calculate billable hours, estimate budgets, and more.
- Create tasks and subtasks for efficient task management.
- Set project permissions for easy task management.
- Offers browser extensions for Firefox, Google Chrome, and Edge.
- Provides apps for Windows, macOS, and Linux devices that let employees use time productively.
It offers a limited free plan. TMetric’s paid plans start at $5/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (240+ reviews)
3. Toggl Track
Toggl Track is an online time tracking software solution that offers task management and timesheet features.
- Toggl Track timer to track time on any website or app.
- Built-in Pomodoro timer for boosting productivity and work quality.
- Export timesheets as PDF, XLS, or CSV files for easy storage.
- Toggl Track extension for Google Chrome and Firefox.
Read more about Toggl Track in this in-depth review.
It supports a free plan for up to five users. Toggl Track’s paid plans start at $10/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (1400+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1700+ reviews)
Clockify is a time tracking and timesheet app that allows managers to track employee productivity, billable hours, and attendance.
- Easy time tracking and timesheet functionality.
- Automatically calculates billable hours based on the tracked hours.
- Personalized dashboard to gain valuable insight into complex projects.
- Offers an iOS and Android mobile device app for tracking time on the go.
Check out our comprehensive Clockify review.
Clockify offers a free plan with limited features. Paid plans start at $4.99/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (110+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1600+ reviews)
Timely is a time tracking and project management app that automatically tracks time spent on desktop or web apps.
- Simple time tracker with flexible time logging options.
- Monitor project progress and expenses in real-time.
- Generates a daily record of all team meetings, chats, video calls, and more.
- Integrates with tools like Trello, Jira, and Google Sheet through Timely API.
Plans start at $10/user per month.
- G2: 4.8/5 (190+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (200+ reviews)
TrackingTime is an easy-to-use time tracker software suitable for freelancers as well as teams of all sizes.
- Use online timesheets to easily track your team’s working hours.
- Use attendance tracker to generate company-wide online timesheets.
- Assign tasks, delegate responsibilities, and monitor the progress of your projects and tasks.
- See every task in progress and measure your team’s productivity by monitoring them in real-time.
It supports a free plan for up to three users. TrackingTime’s paid plans start at $5/user per month.
- G2: 4.2/5 (15+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (30+ reviews)
HourStack offers a visual calendar interface and time tracker that helps you easily track time spent on individual tasks or projects.
- Visual schedules that help identify productive time blocks.
- Offers useful information like actual vs. estimated time taken for a task with detailed reports.
- View and manage team schedules from one place.
- Integrates with tools like Asana, Slack, and Todoist.
Plans start at $12/user per month. HourStack also offers a 14-day free trial (no credit card required).
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (10+ reviews)
TimeCamp is a cloud-based time tracking app tool that enables businesses to track attendance, calculate billable tasks, create invoices, and more.
- Provides daily attendance and timesheet reports.
- Mark billable time and non-billable hours and optimize invoicing processes.
- Monitor when your employees track their time and plan their workflow accordingly.
- Exports timesheet data to create client invoices.
TimeCamp offers a free plan with limited functionalities. Its paid plan starts at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (170+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (540+ reviews)
Sure, these are some great tools.
But why should you track time in Todoist in the first place?
Let’s find out.
Why Should You Track Time in Todoist?
Here are three major benefits of Todoist time tracking:
1. Gain Productivity Insights
Todoist provides a to do list with additional details like due dates and priority. On the other hand, time tracking tools convert tracked data into comprehensive reports.
This helps managers and stakeholders access every aspect of their employees’ daily workflow and productivity.
Some valuable data includes:
- Which task takes the most time.
- When is an employee the most productive.
- How much time does each project process take.
Additionally, employees can use these reports to track and evaluate their own time management skills across multiple projects or clients.
2. Easy Payroll and Billing
Another amazing benefit of integrating a time tracking tool with Todoist is that it simplifies payroll and billing.
With a time tracking tool, managers will be able to monitor how long an employee spends on each task. This will help you accurately determine their billable hours and overtime pay.
And if you have employees who work at an hourly rate, you can use your time tracking tool for easy payments.
For instance, all you need to do is fill in the details of your employees and the hourly rates, and the tool takes care of the calculations.
Moreover, you can integrate your time tracking tools with online payment systems for client invoicing.
3. Better Resource Management
While Todoist allows you to assign responsibilities, time tracking tools help you take it a level higher.
As time reports offer a bird’s eye view of resource allocation, project managers can use it to gauge the average time each team member takes to deliver a specific task. They can then decide on how they should assign tasks for maximum productivity.
Moreover, task managers can also reassign project tasks if someone has too much workload. This can help prevent employee burnout.
Todoist is a great task management app. But it lacks a native time tracker to help you track time on Todoist tasks.
Fortunately, you can integrate this list app with a dedicated time tracking tool.
While you can use any of the time tracking tools listed above, Time Doctor clearly stands out above the rest with its advanced time tracking and productivity management features. It offers idle time tracking, reports, payroll management, and more.
So why not sign up for Time Doctor and start tracking time for your Todoist tasks today?