Successful businesses recognize the value of time and spend it on growth opportunities that offer the highest returns.
Moreover, you can accomplish business goals faster and strategize better to scale operations when you manage time better.
And that’s why you need timekeeper software!
With this automated time tracking system, you can manage employee time, create work schedules, reduce attendance errors, and boost organizational productivity.
In this article, we’ll explore the nine best timekeeper software in 2022. We’ll also highlight the five excellent benefits of timekeeping software and six key features to consider while choosing the tool.
Let’s get started!
9 Best Timekeeper Software of 2022
Here are some of the best timekeeping software for businesses to track employee productivity and attendance:
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is a robust time tracking and workforce management app used by large organizations like Ericsson and small businesses like Thrive Market to enhance team performance.
The tool helps you identify your employees’ most productive minutes and records the total billable hours.
You can use this time tracker on several platforms and devices, like:
- Desktop app for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Mobile app for Android.
With Time Doctor, you can analyze your employee’s work efficiency and get insights into their tasks on any typical workday.
This way, you can keep tabs on the project’s progress and use your available resources most profitably.
Let’s explore some remarkable features of Time Doctor:
Here are some notable features of this powerful time tracking software:
A. Interactive and Silent Time Tracking
Be it for calculating payrolls or project budgets, you can track the time for all your tasks using Time Doctor’s interactive or silent time tracking feature.
Follow the steps below to use the interactive or manual mode for tracking employee hours:
- Open the Time Doctor app and type the task name. (e.g.,- entering CRM data in spreadsheets, calculating employee accruals, etc.)
- Press Start to begin tracking time. It’ll look something like this:
- Hit Stop when you’ve completed the task or pause for some time. It’ll look something like this:
- If you plan to work on another task, enter the new task name and repeat the above steps to keep track of time.
You can also use Time Doctor’s silent or automatic time tracking mode to record an employee’s daily or overtime work hours. As soon as you turn on your system, the app runs quietly in the background, recording every hour you spend working on different tasks.
The silent time tracking feature doesn’t interfere with your daily workflow and tracks time even when you forget to activate the timer yourself.
B. Work Schedules
The work schedules functionality lets you create and manage employee schedules easily, so they know their upcoming priorities and never miss a deadline.
The scheduling feature helps you:
- Set work schedules for every employee, defining their work hours.
- Distribute important tasks amongst team members efficiently.
- Automate timesheet generation.
- Import and export employee schedules in a CSV format for ease of file sharing.
C. Productivity Reports
Time Doctor offers detailed reports, giving you accurate insights about employee productivity levels.
Here are some productivity reports that you can benefit from:
- Activity summary report: View each team member’s active minutes, mobile time, and free time to improve work profitability.
- Hours tracked report: Track and assess employee hours daily, weekly, or during a selected period.
- Timeline report: View the start and end times for your employees’ daily and weekly assigned tasks.
- Attendance report: Check which employee is present, absent, partially absent, or late.
- Projects and Tasks report: Check how employees spend time across different tasks and projects.
- Web and App Usage report: Assess the work hour data to check how much time employees spend on various websites and apps.
D. Screencasts (optional)
With the screencast feature, you can take screenshots of your employees’ monitors to get real-time updates on the task they’re working on.
It comes with optional time interval settings that can be enabled or disabled for each user.
Note: To protect your employee’s privacy, you can blur or delete screenshots consisting of sensitive information like passwords, employee details, etc.
E. Payroll Management
Time Doctor’s payroll management feature makes client invoicing and payroll processing a breeze!
Whether you’re a small business owner or a project manager, you can use the time entry data to track employee hours and generate precise billing statements. You can also fix pay rates for your employees per hour and select the currency you want them to receive the payment.
Additionally, you can export your payroll data in multiple formats (CSV, XLS, PDF, etc.).
Time Doctor gives users a 14-day free version trial (no credit card details required). The tool’s basic plan starts as low as $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (270+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (400+ reviews)
Clockify is a simple time clock app suitable for freelancers and small business owners who want to track time for unlimited projects.
Check out this comprehensive Clockify review to learn more about the time tracking software.
- Sends alert notifications to share timesheets every month.
- Uses custom fields on the timesheet data to track project expenses, mileage, etc.
- Helps you define paid time off (PTO) policies and track leave requests.
Clockify offers a 14-day free trial and the paid plans start at $4.99/seat per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (4,050+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (110+ reviews)
3. Toggl Track
Toggl Track is an employee timekeeping software that helps improve time management through idle time detection, Pomodoro timer, and tracking reminders.
- Lets you filter and export your time entry data by user, task, or project.
- Helps with effective resource utilization by checking for overburdened or underutilized employees.
- Integrates with 100+ apps (Trello, Asana, etc.) via native integrations or Chrome extension.
Toggl Track has a free plan and the paid plans start at $10/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (1,490+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,790+ reviews)
Don’t think it’s right for your team? Discover the seven best Toggl Track alternatives.
Everhour is an easy-to-use time tracking and billing software that can help you track employee hours, client billable hour rates, and project budgets.
- Lets you track hours manually and automatically.
- Offers a weekly timesheet template (like a time card calculator) to calculate your employee’s overtime and total working hours.
- Helps you visualize tasks (in List or Board view) and track progress in one place.
Everhour offers a 14-day free trial and the paid plans start at $10/user per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (130+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (290+ reviews)
Find out the seven best Everhour alternatives for efficient timekeeping and project management.
MinuteDock is a time and billing software offering the employee self service option to clock in through any mobile device (Android and iOS).
- Lets you add time entries for previous tasks or meetings.
- Lets you apply custom billable rates to your team’s projects and tasks.
- Helps you set project budgets and track progress in real-time.
MinuteDock offers a 14-day free trial and the paid plans start at $19/user per month.
- G2: 3.9/5 (7+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (3+ reviews)
DeskTime is a simple timekeeping software that combines employee scheduling, project time tracking, and custom reporting all on one platform.
- Supports offline time tracking, so you stay aware of your employee’s work progress.
- Tracks employee attendance and leave requests through the absence calendar feature.
- Lets you connect with several apps (Google Drive, Slack, Google Docs, Zoho Projects, etc.) through Zapier integration or Chrome browser extensions.
DeskTime has a free plan and the paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (140+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (230+ reviews)
Explore the five best DeskTime alternatives for your business.
ActivTrak is a workforce management tool that lets you report on employees’ daily start time, end time, and work duration without requiring manual clock-in and clock-out.
- Checks how employee time is spent across multiple applications.
- Identifies real-time work status of employees to see if they’re working on specific tasks or available.
- Reviews employees’ most productive and unproductive hours by day, week, and month.
ActivTrak has a free plan and the paid plans start at $9/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (190+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (530+ reviews)
Find the seven best ActivTrak alternatives for your timekeeping needs.
TimeCamp is an online time and attendance software offering businesses the advanced feature for timesheet reporting and project management.
- Sends automatic reminders for employee timesheet approval.
- Lets you add and delete any time entry in the employee timesheet.
- Helps you customize billable hour rates and streamline payments for your team members and stakeholders.
TimeCamp has a free plan and the paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (180+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (550+ reviews)
Wondering if it’s the right tool for your time tracking needs? Discover the 11 best TimeCamp alternatives.
Jibble is a reliable timekeeping app that you can use to manage payroll, attendance, and project outcomes, even when you’re offline.
- Acts as a multi-device timecard calculator so you can monitor employee time on the worksite or in the office.
- Helps you assess which employee is closest to a job site or client’s location through the geofencing or GPS tracking feature.
- Lets you access detailed reporting and analytics functionality in the time clock app.
Jibble has a free plan and the paid plans start at $0.20/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (290+ reviews)
Read this article to discover the best time tracking apps that can boost workplace productivity and profitability.
Next, we’ll check out the primary benefits of deploying a time tracking solution in your workplace.
5 Benefits Of Timekeeper Software
Here are five ways in which you can benefit from timekeeping software:
1. Improve Team Productivity
Through screenshot monitoring, idle time tracking, website monitoring, etc., you’ll know how efficiently your employees are spending their work hours. You can closely analyze your team’s daily performance to look for areas of improvement.
While biometric systems record your employees’ clock in and clock out time, timekeeping software goes one step ahead to help you improve workplace productivity. The best free time tracking tool lets you assign tasks to various team members, so they stay informed about the priority tasks.
2. Maximize Project Profitability
Let’s say you assign a few employees MRP (material requirements planning) i.e., the planning, scheduling, and inventory system to manage raw materials in manufacturing processes.
The time tracking software will help you examine if your employees require more or less than the initial estimated time to complete the task. You can also assess how much time you can save if you distribute the same task amongst more employees.
This way, you can improve the efficiency of the production line, set up realistic work deadlines, and impress your stakeholders by delivering projects on time.
3. Reduce Manual Errors
Paper timesheets increase the risk of error as they are manually managed and maintained. It often leads to client conflicts, delayed transactions, or a damaged reputation for your organization.
On the other hand, switching to the timekeeper software won’t just save time but also prevent time entry mistakes. You need not retype every working hour while calculating employees’ payroll. It’s because automated time tracking software helps employers track work hours, leaves, and accruals, streamlining the payroll processes.
It lets you release accurate employee payments as per your organization’s pay rules.
4. Implement Data-driven Decisions
Gathering and analyzing employee data is beneficial for the human resources department and helps with effective employee monitoring.
The time tracking software offers several kinds of time reports to identify any dips in employee productivity levels. You can observe which projects require less time, which days tend to be most productive, which employees work overtime or leave before the shift ends, etc.
This way, you can assess the overall work patterns and make thoughtful decisions about talent acquisition, employee retention, and employee promotion.
5. Track Employee Absences
Keeping track of time off requests through sticky notes and long email chains is never convenient. Fortunately, most timekeeping software helps you review and approve leave requests in one click.
It offers you the flexibility to access attendance records while calculating payrolls at the end of the month.
You can gain insight into employee absences with a visual calendar view that shows all leaves at a glance. As a result, managers remain aware which employees are on leave, in the office, and working remotely.
Check out these 13 practical tips to reduce employee absenteeism at your workplace.
Now, let’s find out what features you need to consider while purchasing the time tracking tool.
6 Features To Look For In Timekeeper Software
Here are the different aspects your time management software should ideally have:
- Ease Of Use: It should have an intuitive and user-friendly interface so every team member can easily navigate the time tracking tool.
- Multi-device Access: It should be easily accessible on multiple devices (desktops, tablets, smartphones), letting you track project time on the go.
- Payroll Integration: It should have the functionality of payroll software. The human resources department should be able to send timesheet data directly to the accounting software for payroll processing.
- Work Scheduling: It should offer you the scheduling functionality to know who is working or who is on vacation.
- Robust Reporting: It should give you intuitive reporting features like checking your employees’ overtime work hours, time taken to complete the assigned task, etc.
The best time tracking software can assist you with task assignments, employee scheduling, and timesheet management. However, you need to go for the timekeeping system that perfectly aligns with your business goals and work model.
For instance, if you’re looking for a tool that can help you track employee productivity and excel at remote work management, you should go for Time Doctor!
To get started, why not sign up for Time Doctor’s 14-day free trial and conquer all your time management needs?