Looking for a comprehensive TimeCamp vs Hubstaff comparison?
While time tracking software primarily tracks employee work hours, they can also help you manage attendance, create reports and invoices, and more.
However, not all time tracking software is equally efficient.
So how do you select the right time tracking tool?
This Article Covers:
(Click on the topic to jump to a particular section)
- What Is TimeCamp?
- What Is Hubstaff?
- TimeCamp Vs Hubstaff
- Time Tracking
- Productivity Tracking
- Budget Tracking
- Attendance Tracking
- Available Devices
- A Smarter Alternative To Both TimeCamp And Hubstaff
- Final Verdict
What Is TimeCamp?
TimeCamp is a time and productivity tracking software that can increase your business’s profitability.
TimeCamp helps employees with time management and allows managers to monitor:
- Employee activity.
- Team productivity.
- Budgeting and invoicing processes.
What Is Hubstaff?
Hubstaff is a time tracking, project management, and reporting software that helps businesses with on-field and remote teams manage their time.
Its features enable managers to monitor employee activity during work hours. This increases the transparency between employees and managers.
Now, let’s compare the features of TimeCamp and Hubstaff and evaluate which one is better.
TimeCamp Vs Hubstaff: Detailed Comparison
Both TimeCamp and Hubstaff are good time tracking software. However, they differ in functionality and purpose.
Let’s see how they weigh against each other:
1. Time Tracking
Time tracking is a feature that enables managers to log the time employees spend working.
Since TimeCamp and Hubstaff are primarily time tracking tools, they offer great time tracking features:
TimeCamp uses automatic time tracking to log employee work hours.
How does an automatic time tracker work?
An automatic time tracker doesn’t require you to start or stop the timer when you work on a task or take breaks. It tracks the time taken to complete tasks automatically while you work.
Here’s how TimeCamp can help here:
- Track time spent automatically by setting up tasks using project-specific keywords. TimeCamp will automatically start tracking time when it detects the keyword in the app’s name, window title, or URL address.
- Manually edit or modify time entries.
- Streamline your workflow by integrating with other software.
Unlike TimeCamp, Hubstaff uses manual time tracking.
With a manual time tracker, you have to turn the timer on and off when you start and finish work, respectively.
Here’s what you can do with Hubstaff’s manual time tracking option:
- Access activity levels, time worked, and amount earned per week on a single screen.
- Modify and enter time manually.
- Track and analyze time spent on each project with a detailed timesheet, report, and dashboard.
TimeCamp carries out time tracking and activity monitoring in the background as you work. Hubstaff tracks time when you turn on the tracker manually.
Timesheets accurately display the hours an employee has spent working over a week, month, year, etc. This makes it essential for calculating payroll and invoices.
Let’s look at the differences between TimeCamp and Hubstaff’s timesheets:
TimeCamp offers smart timesheets that you can use for all types of projects.
Here’s what you can do with them:
- Approve timesheets daily or weekly.
- Add comments and feedback on timesheets.
- Lock timesheets to prevent any manipulations after approval.
- Integrate with budget and time tracked to calculate invoice and payroll.
- Set automatic approval or reminder when the timesheet needs to be approved.
Hubstaff offers online timesheets to streamline time tracking, estimates, invoicing, and payments.
Here’s what you can do with an online timesheet:
- Create to-do lists, add notes, and track time spent on each task.
- Allow employees to include time logs manually.
- Review and approve timesheets manually or automatically.
- Combine with time tracking and budget records to calculate employee payroll and client invoice.
Both TimeCamp and Hubstaff have high-quality timesheets that record employee attendance and integrate with your payroll and invoicing systems.
3. Productivity Tracking
By tracking employee productivity, you can see how they spend their time.
Here’s how these tools help you track productivity:
TimeCamp measures employee productivity by:
- Monitoring websites and apps the employee uses during work.
- Providing a productivity assistant to alert employees when they’re idle.
- Taking screenshots during work hours.
Note: The screenshot employee monitoring feature is optional.
Additionally, Time Camp can help you track an employee’s idle time.
The application asks the employee what they did when they were away from the computer.
Here are a few of Hubstaff’s activity tracking features:
- Track apps and URLs visited.
- Identify productivity trends to motivate all teams to work efficiently.
- Provides screenshots of your employee’s screen.
TimeCamp monitors employees using screenshots, a productivity assistant, and other features. Hubstaff provides productivity trends and takes screenshots to monitor on-site and remote employees.
4. Budget Tracking
A project is successful only when it’s profitable.
So, tracking its budget is crucial throughout the execution of the project.
Let’s look at how TimeCamp and Hubstaff handle budget and expense tracking:
TimeCamp lets you track budget accurately by:
- Creating financial project reports using real-time employee data and fixed billing rates.
- Setting the billing rates for employees based on their experience and other factors.
- Customizing the billing rates of clients and projects.
- Providing notifications when a budget is about to overrun.
Hubstaff’s project budget feature lets you:
- Create reports based on bill rates, pay rates, or hours.
- Set weekly hours limit to keep employee payroll under the budget.
- Access cost per employee/project with a detailed real-time report.
- Set the limit and receive notifications when the budget is about to overrun.
Both TimeCamp and Hubstaff can help you track and control the project budget with ease.
5. Attendance Tracking
Let’s look at how TimeCamp and Hubstaff help you track employee attendance:
1. Attendance Tracking
With TimeCamp, you can manage team attendance of a large, medium, and small business.
Employees can mark their attendance with a single click.
They can also apply for leave requests and receive replies from the HR department in just a few minutes.
2. TimeCamp GPS
TimeCamp’s GPS tracking feature uses geofencing to report the employees’ live location.
It can also track time automatically as soon as the employee arrives at a particular location.
1. Hubstaff Schedules
Hubstaff assists employee scheduling and can monitor employee attendance.
Here’s what you can do with this feature:
- Create repeating or non-repeating shifts.
- Assign shifts to teams and employees.
- Send reminders to employees when they’re late.
- Alert team leaders/owners/users with notifications for missed, incomplete, or late shifts.
2. Geofence Time Clock
The geofence time clock in the Hubstaff app tracks employees’ location using GPS.
Here’s what you can do with the feature:
- Automatically start tracking time when an employee enters and leaves the worksite.
- Set reminders for employees to clock in when they reach the site.
- Receive automatic alerts when employees are late or absent.
- Get detailed reports on the team members working on-field.
- Generate comprehensive timesheets to prevent inaccurate working hours.
Both Hubstaff and TimeCamp are employee tracking apps that can streamline attendance and location tracking. However, Timecamp’s advanced scheduling functionality makes tracking attendance a bit easier.
TimeCamp and Hubstaff have features that can help you generate client invoices with ease. Let’s take a closer look at them:
The smart invoicing uses the hours tracked in order to generate accurate client invoices.
Its other invoicing features include:
- Automatic billing, invoice approvals, and reminders.
- Share invoices instantaneously via email or private link.
- Export invoices to Xero and Quickbooks.
- Adjust tax rates according to the country or local regulations.
With the Hubstaff online invoicing feature, you can:
- Generate invoice automatically.
- Set hourly rates for accurate invoicing.
- Send invoices in HTML, PDF, or by email.
- See whether the client has viewed the invoice.
- Keep tabs on all open invoices and note whether the client paid fully or partially.
Both Hubstaff and TimeCamp have the necessary features for smooth invoicing.
Payroll calculation is a tedious task — especially when different employees are paid varying amounts based on their experience, skills, etc.
Let’s look at how TimeCamp and Hubstaff make it easy to calculate payroll:
By using TimeCamp’s automatic payroll feature, you can:
- Assign different rates for different hours and employees.
- Locks out your team members to prevent manipulation and secure data.
- Include only billable hours in a click.
Hubstaff provides an automatic online payroll feature.
Here’s what you can do with it:
- Set fixed or pay rates of individual employees.
- Integrate it with other accounting software for accurate payroll.
- Pay weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or twice a month.
- Pay directly via Paypal, Payoneer, TransferWise, or Bitwage.
Both Hubstaff and TimeCamp make calculating payroll simple. However, only Hubstaff lets you pay your employees directly through its payroll system.
Reports provide detailed analysis on various employee data and help your firm with project management.
Let’s compare TimeCamp and Hubstaff’s reports:
TimeCamp offers two kinds of reports:
1. Time tracking
Some of its key reports are:
- Project budget: Shows the money spent on a particular budget for a specific duration.
- Time entries: Detailed analysis of the time entry of an employee for a selected period of time.
2. Computer time
TimeCamp’s desktop app can collect data about your activities while it’s running, such as:
- Away Time: See how much time employees spend away from their computer.
- Attendance: Shows the attendance history of the employee.
Hubstaff provides a variety of reports, which are classified into:
- General reports: Weekly, apps, and URLs.
- Payment reports: Amount owed, payments.
- Budget and limits reports: Project budget, client budget.
- Time off reports: Time-off balances, time-off transactions.
- Invoice reports: Team invoice, client invoice.
- Job sites reports.
- Attendance reports.
Hubstaff provide reports on more specific and relevant data than TimeCamp. However, TimeCamp’s reports are more informative and detailed.
9. Available Devices
Let’s see what platforms Hubstaff and TimeCamp are compatible with:
TimeCamp’s desktop app is compatible with Windows, Linux, and Mac devices. Its mobile app works on Android, Ipad, and other iOS devices. You can also access it as a Chrome extension.
Hubstaff is available as a desktop app for Windows, Mac, and Linux and as an Android and iOS app. It also offers a Chrome extension.
Both time tracking software is compatible with leading OS and mobile devices and also offers a Chrome browser extension.
It’s highly inconvenient when you have to switch between tools while working.
So, TimeCamp and Hubstaff can integrate with other tools to facilitate better time tracking.
TimeCamp has over 30 third-party API integrations.
Some of them are:
- Collaboration software: Google Calendar, HeySpace
- Accounting and invoicing tool: Quickbooks Online
- Project management tool: Basecamp, Jira, Trello, Toggl, and Evernote
- CRM and sales software: Insightly
Hubstaff has over 30 integrations that will help you increase company productivity:
- Communication tool: Slack
- Project management tool: Hubstaff Tasks, Asana, Toggl
- Accounting and invoicing tools: Freshbooks, Payoneer
- CRM software: Salesforce
Both TimeCamp and Hubstaff provide several integrations for effortless task management and time tracking.
Let’s take a look at their different pricing plans:
TimeCamp’s pricing starts at $7/user per month. Its pro plan costs $10/user per month.
They also provide a free plan with limited features for single users.
Hubstaff’s plans start at $7/user per month, and the premium plan costs $10/user per month. There’s also a limited free plan for freelancers.
Hubstaff and TimeCamp cost the same and offer a limited free plan.
A Smarter Alternative To Both TimeCamp and Hubstaff
We’ve compared both TimeCamp and Hubstaff on time tracking, attendance tracking, timesheets, productivity tracking, budget tracking, payroll management, and more.
And while there are many TimeCamp and Hubstaff alternatives, not all are reliable.
However, there’s a tracking tool worth considering…
It’s called Time Doctor, and it does a lot more than just basic time tracking.
What is Time Doctor?
Time Doctor is a robust time tracking and employee productivity management software with tons of user-friendly features. From SMBs, like Thrive Market, to corporate giants, like Verizon, companies use Time Doctor to boost productivity.
With Time Doctor, you can easily:
- Track time automatically or manually.
- Get detailed reports to gain insights into employee activity.
- Categorize websites as productive and unproductive.
- Take screenshots to monitor your on-site and remote team.
- Track time directly from workplace software using the Chrome extension.
- Pay employees directly via Paypal and other gateways.
And that’s not all.
This means, Time Doctor could almost always provide an integration that works with your existing software.
Additionally, Time Doctor offers several user-friendly settings, making it one of the safest productivity tools available today.
But does this mean Time Doctor is expensive?
Nope. Time Doctor’s pricing plans start at $8/user per month, and it also offers a 14-day free trial (that requires no credit card.)
Hubstaff and TimeCamp are primarily designed to streamline tracking time.
But they also have features that will optimize time usage, productivity tracking, budget tracking, and attendance tracking, etc.
However, there are better user-friendly time tracking tools like Time Doctor that offer advanced features that help boost productivity effortlessly.
Not impressed by TimeCamp or Hubstaff? Why not try out Time Doctor’s free trial today?
- What You Need to Know About Performance Appraisal Methods in 2021 -
- How to Track Team Productivity and Improve Performance in 2021 -
- 10 Excellent Attendance Tracking Software In 2021 (Features, Pricing) -
- 5 Top-Tier Time Tracking Tools For Freelancers In 2021 -
- Top 10 Team Productivity Tools In 2021 (Features, Pricing) -