Accurate time tracking can help a virtual assistant with client invoicing, project management, productivity tracking, and more.
But there are many time tracking tools in the market, and you may find it difficult to choose one that suits your requirements.
In this article, we’ll explore the 12 best time tracking software for virtual assistants, their features, pricing, and customer ratings. We’ll also explain how to select a good time tracking tool and the benefits of time tracking.
Let’s get started.
This Article Contains:
(Click on the links below to go to a specific section)
- 12 Best Time Tracking Software for Virtual Assistants
- How to Choose the Right Time Tracker for Virtual Assistants?
- 4 Key Benefits of Time Tracking for Virtual Assistants
12 Best Time Tracking Software for Virtual Assistants
A virtual assistant is a remote employee who can help business owners or managers with daily administrative tasks, otherwise managed by an in-house executive assistant.
These tasks may include:
- Scheduling meetings.
- Email management.
- Social media management.
- Accounts management.
- Content creation, etc.
Due to their remote location, using manual spreadsheets to track a virtual assistant’s work hours or attendance may not be accurate or efficient.
Fortunately, you can log time with online time tracking tools.
Let’s look at the 12 popular time tracking tools for a virtual assistant:
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is a time tracking and employee productivity monitoring tool that helps virtual assistants record their remote work hours easily. Used by small businesses like Thrive Market as well as large enterprises like Ericsson, it automates several repetitive tasks like recording time entries, managing projects, and tasks, etc.
Here are a few beneficial features of Time Doctor:
A. Interactive and Silent Time Tracking
Time Doctor has an interactive and silent time tracking feature that lets you record your work hours conveniently.
With the interactive time tracker, you can click Start when you begin and Stop when you stop or pause work.
When you Start the timer, it’ll look something like this:
And when you click Stop, it’ll look like this:
When you don’t want to operate a manual tracker, you can use Time Doctor’s silent or automatic tracking feature. It automatically starts tracking time when you switch the system on. And since it has no interface, it runs in the background without interrupting your workflow.
B. Idle Time Tracking
The tool assumes you aren’t working when it doesn’t detect any keystrokes or mouse movements and stops tracking time.
Note: Time Doctor isn’t a keylogger. It doesn’t record keystrokes or mouse movements but only detects them.
C. Project and Task Management
Time Doctor offers an effective project and task management functionality to streamline your work. You can create projects and tasks for clients and track time spent on each activity separately. You can then use the project and time report to monitor the time spent on each activity accurately.
D. Productivity Reports
The tool generates several in-depth productivity reports based on your tracked work hours. These reports give you a better idea of your productivity patterns.
Let’s look at the different reports Time Doctor generates:
- Activity Summary Report: Displays your active, unproductive, manual, and mobile device time for a selected period.
- Timeline Report: Lets you view how long you spend working and on breaks.
- Hours Tracked Report: Shows your total hours tracked during a specific date range.
- Projects & Tasks Report: Displays the time you spend working on different tasks and projects.
- Web & App Usage Report: Lists the sites and applications you use during work hours and the time you spend on each of them.
E. Payroll Management
F. Chrome Extension and Integrations
Time Doctor’s Chrome extension integrates with several premium tools. Here are some of them:
- Project management tool: Asana, Zoho Projects, etc.
- CRM tool: Zoho, Pipedrive, etc.
- Help Desk tool: Zendesk, Freshdesk, etc.
- Communication tool: Podio, etc.
Time Doctor Chrome extension also integrates with Google Workspace so that virtual assistants can track the time they spend working on Google Drive or any Google doc or sheet.
Time Doctor offers a free 14-day trial plan (no credit card required). Its paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (390+ reviews)
- G2: 4.4/5 (270+ reviews)
2. Toggl Track
Toggl Track is a time tracking software that can also help a virtual assistant with tasks like reporting and invoicing.
- Lets you track time through its mobile app, desktop app, web app, or browser extension.
- Automatically tracks the website or app you use for more than 10 seconds.
- Allows you to create or start time entries based on Outlook or Google Calendar events.
- Lets you pin time entries to the top of the Timer page for easy accessibility.
Toggl Track offers a free plan for up to five users. Its paid plans start at $10/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1770+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (1490+ reviews)
Harvest is a simple time tracking and reporting app which helps with invoices and payments. It’s an intuitive tool that is easy to understand and use.
- Lets you insert all time entries manually at once.
- Shows which project and task you spend the most time on.
- Allows a virtual assistant to set reminders to track time.
- Lets you review past project data and estimate the scope and expenditure of the future project.
Harvest offers a free plan for single users. Its paid plans start at $12/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (460+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3/5 (730+ reviews)
Clockify is a time tracker that distinguishes billable time from non-billable time and generates precise invoices.
- Helps you track time using a simple start/stop timer and also supports manual entry.
- Allows you to submit timesheets and set reminders when they’re due.
- Has a dashboard that shows productivity trends and how you spend your time.
- API & Webhooks let you connect the tool with other systems and sync data.
Clockify offers a free plan. Its paid plans start at $4.99/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1600+ reviews)
MyHours is a time tracking tool that helps organize projects and track expenses. You can also coordinate tasks and create detailed reports for clients.
- Allows you to track time on the go through its web app or using a dedicated app for iPhone and Android mobile devices.
- Enables you to set an hourly rate for each project, task, or team member.
- Lets you assign a project to a client and classify it as billable or non-billable.
- Lets you fast-track admin work by setting up templates.
MyHours offers a free plan. Its paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (720+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (160+ reviews)
6. Rescue Time
RescueTime is a virtual assistant software that offers an automatic time logging system. It can help virtual assistants gain more control over their time and boost their productivity.
- Tracks work hours and notifies you when you’re distracted or multi-tasking.
- Generates time reports to help you identify which tasks are time-consuming.
- Lets you begin Focus Sessions to avoid distractions like social media.
- Shows how you’re spending time to improve time management.
RescueTime offers free and paid features. Pricing is available on request.
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (120+ reviews)
- G2: 4.2/5 (70+ reviews)
Paymo is a time tracking software that helps you with project management, time tracking, and client invoicing. It also offers budgeting features to keep your project costs in check.
- Automatically logs the time you spend on projects and lets you add notes to them.
- Offers a website widget that tracks time in a click and gives a visual breakdown of your day’s activities.
- Lets you switch between daily, weekly, and monthly timesheets easily.
- Offers a Kanban board view of your tasks to help you manage them effectively.
Paymo offers a free plan for up to 10 users. Its paid plans start at $11.95/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (410+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (550+ reviews)
TimeCamp is a time tracker that records billable hours and offers time reports to gauge productivity.
- Lets you turn the timer on and off with just a click.
- Enables you to track time through its desktop app or Chrome extension.
- Offers graphic timesheets where you can add, modify, or delete time entries easily.
- Assigns tasks to appropriate clients by detecting keywords in title tags or URLs.
TimeCamp offers a free plan. Its paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (540+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (170+ reviews)
9. QuickBooks Time
QuickBooks Time helps simplify client invoicing and other activities by accurately tracking the time a virtual assistant takes to complete a task.
- Lets you clock in and out with a four digits pin code.
- Offers GPS tracking functionality for your remote teams.
- Generates payroll, project, and employee wage and hour reports.
- Automatically tracks mileage to reimburse travel expenses.
QuickBooks Time offers a free plan for 30 days. Its paid plans start at $8/user per month with a base price of $10 per month.
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (5530+ reviews)
- G2: 4.5/5 (1390+ reviews)
DeskTime is an automatic time tracking tool suitable for teams and even a freelancer. It also offers attendance tracking and workflow management features.
- Tracks time based on document titles, email subject lines, chat group names, etc.
- Tracks offline billable time spent attending calls, meetings, etc.
- Offers a ‘Private Time’ feature that pauses all tracking activity when a user engages in non-work activities like social media browsing.
- Integrates with popular tools like Trello and Google Calendar to ensure uninterrupted workflow.
DeskTime offers a free plan. Its paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (230+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (30+ reviews)
- Offers an automatic timer that starts and stops based on GPS locations.
- Generates a timesheet showing a breakdown of employees’ work hours by client and project.
- Captures URL and app details for proof of work.
- Gives you key productivity insights through the Hubstaff dashboard.
Hubstaff offers a free plan. Its paid plans start at $7/user per month for a minimum of two users.
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1220+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3 (4800+ reviews)
TopTracker is a time tracking tool suitable for a small business owner or virtual assistant. It offers a centralized dashboard to help them manage projects with ease.
- Offers hotkeys (shortcuts) to start, stop, and manage time tracking.
- Takes screenshots of your monitor, which can then be used as proof of time-use for the clients.
- Generates real-time summaries of your productivity based on time tracked data.
- Carries out payment processing via Payoneer, a trusted third-party payment provider.
TopTracker offers all its features for free.
- Capterra: N/A
- G2: N/A
Now that you know the prominent time tracking apps for virtual assistants, let’s learn how to choose the best one for your needs.
How to Choose the Right Time Tracker for Virtual Assistants?
Here are a few things to keep in mind while choosing a time tracker:
- Device compatibility: Ensure the time tracking tool can be used from all devices. This way, you can work from any of your devices at your convenience.
- Availability of important features: Analyze why you need a time tracking tool and choose a software that offers all necessary features. For example, if you need advanced time management features, purchase a tool offering idle time tracking, time blocking, etc.
- Easy app integration: Subscribe to a tool that integrates with tools you or your company already use to save time, avoid confusion, and increase productivity.
- Budget-friendly plans: Understand the tool’s pricing plans and identify one that best suits your budget and has all the virtual assistant services you need.
Now, let’s see how time tracking can help a remote worker like a virtual assistant.
4 Key Benefits of Time Tracking for Virtual Assistants
Here are a few main benefits of time tracking for virtual assistants:
- Boosts focus: Time tracking can help you concentrate entirely on one task at a time and, consequently, you’re less likely to multitask – which can increase productivity.
- Create an accurate timeline: With detailed time-use data, you can accurately estimate project timelines and set realistic deadlines. This will help you make timely submissions.
- Make practical decisions: Time tracking helps you make decisions on budgets, resource allocation, etc. For example, you can spot time-consuming tasks and decide whether to automate them or enroll in coaching.
- Track hidden tasks: Time tracking can help you record activities like client meetings, task planning, email marketing, etc., that are typically part of a virtual assistant’s workflow. It’ll give you more accurate data on your total work hours.
Time tracking is an essential part of the virtual assistant business as it can ensure accurate client billing, efficient project management, and higher productivity.
But there are a plethora of virtual assistant tools available in the market, and you should buy the right tracker to enjoy the benefits of recording time.
You can go through the list of tools in this article to get a better idea of their features. While all the tools offer great time tracking functions, Time Doctor stands out with its additional features like idle time tracking, task management, payroll, etc.
Sign-up with Time Doctor’s 14-day free trial and experience premium time tracking.