Looking for the right tools for your SEO agency?
With so many SEO agency software available, it can be challenging to find the perfect set of tools to grow your business.
In this article, we’ll cover the six key types of SEO tools that every SEO agency needs. We’ll also highlight the best SEO software you can try out for your business in 2020.
This Article Contains
(click on the links to jump to a specific section)
The 6 Key Types of SEO agency software
- All-In-One Software
- Website Audit Software
- On-Page SEO Software
- Off-Page SEO Software
- SEO Reporting Software
- Miscellaneous Software
Let’s get started.
The 6 Key Types of SEO agency software
Let’s take a look at the six key types of SEO agency software:
1. All-In-One Software
These software suites contain a variety of SEO tools that’ll help your agency manage a variety of services.
By using a single software for your search engine optimization projects, you can centralize all your critical processes on a single platform.
For example, with the right all-in-one tool, you can:
- Find keyword opportunities
- Track search engine ranking positions
- Analyze competitors
- And more!
Here’s a closer look at one of the most popular all-in-one SEO tools:
Ahrefs is a powerful SEO software suite for SEO agencies. It has all the tools you need to carry out core SEO operations like:
- Keyword Research – Identifying the most popular keywords with your audience.
- Link Research – Analyzing the quality and quantity of links on your website.
- Rank Tracking – Studying a website’s Google Search ranking history for a particular keyword.
Here’s a closer look at some of Ahrefs’ most important features:
1. Keywords Explorer
Looking for great keyword ideas?
Ahrefs gives you relevant keyword suggestions from their massive database of 7 million+ keywords!
It can even identify keywords from multiple search engines like Google, Bing & Yahoo for maximum coverage. It also identifies search terms that are popular with your audience to better connect with them.
Want some ‘low-effort’ keywords?
Ahrefs’ KD (Keyword Difficulty) score can calculate how easy it’ll be to rank for a keyword, based on the current top-ranking webpages.
2. Site Explorer
Do you need a better understanding of your client’s web pages?
Just add any URL into Ahrefs Site Explorer, and see all its backlinks, SERP history, and other SEO metrics!
How does it work?
Ahrefs constantly scans through 54 billion webpages in real-time and indexes their data and backlinks. It even updates its index every 15 minutes to ensure that the data is always accurate.
3. Organic Search Report
Keep an eye on what keywords your competitors rank for with the Organic Search Report. Use it to identify which keyword has the highest search volume to find the most lucrative ranking opportunities.
Ahrefs offers four different plans based on how often your agency will use the tool.
- Lite – $99/month for 5 projects
- Standard – $179/month for 10 projects
- Advanced – $399/month for 25 projects
- Agency – $999/month for 100 projects (up to 5 users)
- SEMRush – An all-in-one toolkit for online marketing professionals and SEO experts.
- MozPro – Comprehensive internet marketing tool from Moz that simplifies SEO, social media marketing ,and link building.
- Serpstat– An all-in-one growth hacking tool for SEO, PPC and content marketing.
2. Website Auditing Software
The first step of the SEO process generally involves a site audit.
A site audit is an analysis of your client’s website to identify any gaps or errors that are causing it to not rank. SEO agencies use SEO auditing software to fix these errors to ensure that their client’s sites are running smoothly.
Let’s take a closer look at one such powerful tool:
Screaming Frog is a popular web crawler for Windows, macOS & Linux.
What does a web crawler do?
A web crawler can automatically scan a domain to learn what every web page contains and store its data. SEO agencies then analyze this information to look for any SEO issues that a client’s website may have.
Here are some of Screaming Frog’s key features:
1. Find Broken Links
Broken links can harm your client’s website.
- Whenever a reader clicks on a broken link, they may not want to return to that website, as it indicates that the site isn’t updated regularly.
- Search engines recognize that sites with broken links are not updated regularly, and may not contain quality content. This can cause a significant drop in your SERP (Search Engine Result Pages) rankings.
So how does Screaming Frog help?
Screaming Frog crawls through your website to identify broken links in your webpages.
This allows you to fix them in two ways:
- By removing the broken link.
- By changing the link so it redirects to an active page.
2. Discover Duplicate Content
Duplicate content is a far more common problem than you think.
If your client posts a lot of content, there might be a few identical web pages online. They might inadvertently post multiple articles on the same topic, or they may even use the same title.
Duplicate content confuses Google and other search engines.
It forces them to randomly select a similar webpage to rank higher than the others. This means that your client’s original webpage may not be chosen as one of the top results.
Screaming Frog scans for duplicate URLs, headlines, page titles ,and descriptions using an md5 algorithmic check.
It then flags these issues and gives you a few options to resolve them such as:
- Deleting a duplicate page.
- Combining similar content pages and redirecting the links.
3. Analyze Metadata
Meta descriptions are crucial for SEO.
What are meta descriptions?
They’re the text displayed under the page title during search results. A well-crafted meta description engages visitors and persuades them to click on your webpage.
Screaming Frog analyzes pages for these meta descriptions.
It identifies significant issues in your metadata like:
- Missing meta descriptions
- Long meta descriptions (>155 characters)
- Short descriptions (<70 characters)
- Duplicate descriptions
Screaming Frog has a free version which has limited uses and features.
To unlock premium features and unlimited uses, you can get the paid version for £149/year ($193/year).
- Google Search Console – Highlights organic traffic and search ranking performance for web pages in real-time.
- Raven Tools – An SEO platform that offers SEO auditing and content marketing tools.
- URL Profiler – An all-in-one SEO audit tool.
3. On Page SEO Software
When it comes to SEO, content matters.
In order to rank, you need to put out high-quality content that answers a user’s search queries.
The more relevant the content, the higher it can rank.
On page SEO tools focus on optimizing web page content, to better answer user queries and attract larger audiences.
Here’s a closer look at a popular on-page SEO tool:
Page Optimizer Pro
Page Optimizer Pro is a content optimization tool used by SEO agencies and content marketing professionals.
Once you have crafted your article for a keyword, run it through Page Optimizer Pro. The tool then generates a report which gives you recommendations on how to improve its SERP rankings.
Here are a few features that make Page Optimizer Pro easy to use:
Here’s how it works:
- Once you select a keyword you want to optimize for, generate a report for it.
- Page Optimizer Pro scans through the top-ranking articles for that keyword. It then compiles a list of relevant keywords (and their variations), that are commonly found in these high-ranking articles.
- You can then optimize your content by adding these additional keywords in the article.
The best part about this feature?
You can make all the content changes within the tool, with the help of the in-built editor.
2. Ready-made Reports
Don’t have time to run reports and optimize content?
Page Optimizer Pro’s ‘Done For You’ service will do all the hard work.
For a fee, their experienced team will:
- Run the recommended reports.
- Interpret the results.
- Generate optimized content.
- Write-up recommended changes.
Page Optimizer Pro starts at $20/month and offers 12 reports per month. For $39/month you can generate unlimited reports. If you’re looking for a comprehensive plan for your SEO agency, their Agency plans start at $78/month.
- Topic – Similar to Page Optimizer Pro, this AI writing assistant helps you create high-quality content.
- Ryte – Along with providing keyword recommendations, this tool also helps you fix hidden errors on your website.
4. Off-Page SEO Software
These tools help SEO agencies develop powerful link-building strategies.
These tools conduct a wide range of tasks, like:
- Backlink Analysis – To understand and replicate your competitor’s backlink strategy.
- Reporting link-building issues – To identify broken or invalid links.
- Building authoritative backlinks – To find the best link opportunities to boost your Google search rankings.
Here’s a look at one of the most widely used off page SEO software:
Majestic is a technical SEO backlink checker that’ll help you with the link building process.
This tool is recommended for SEO experts who want to conduct an in-depth backlink analysis for their client’s domains.
Here’s what Majestic can offer your SEO agency:
1. Site Explorer
Take a deep dive into the backlink data of any domain with the Majestic Site Explorer.
With this feature, you can gauge how useful or ‘authoritative’ your client’s website really is. The more authoritative the domain, the higher it can rank on Google.
How does it work?
The tool scans for metrics like:
- Citation Flow: Highlights how authoritative a domain is based on the number of sites linking to it.
- Trust Flow: Highlights how trustworthy a page is based on the number of inbound links from other authoritative sites.
2. Clique Hunter
Majestic also lets you identify where your competitors are getting their backlinks from. You can then use these insights to replicate their strategy and boost your rankings.
You discover that your competitor has a lot of links from TechRadar. Just like them, you can find ways to get links from that site to boost your rankings.
Majestic offers three plans based on software usage.
- Lite – $49.99/monthly (recommended for light users)
- Pro – $99.99/month (recommended for individual SEO professionals)
- API – $399.99/month (for SEO agencies)
- Buzzstream – This marketing platform lets you research relevant influencers and websites to reach out to them for a backlink.
- Buzzsumo – Similar to Buzzstream, Buzzsumo also allows you to analyze what content works best in your client’s niche.
5. SEO Reporting Software
After completing the SEO process, you should analyze your client’s website performance. Use these tools to track your client’s SEO performance.
Here’s a detailed look at one of these tools:
Google Analytics will help you easily analyze your client’s website data. It also has in-depth SEO reports that you can share with your clients.
Here’s what makes Google Analytics the preferred reporting tool for most SEO agencies:
1. Customized Reports
While there are many SEO reporting tools, none of them compete with Google Analytics’ custom reports.
These reports can provide valuable data like:
- Keyword analysis – Gives you insights into the most popular keywords on your site.
- Rank Tracker – Details the SERP ranking history for a particular keyword.
- Mobile performance – Shows how well your site is optimized for mobile and where you need to make improvements.
2. Audience Reports
For a successful SEO operation, you need to understand your audience. By knowing your visitors, you can craft relevant content that can be useful to them.
Google’s audience reports don’t just display the demographics of your website visitors; they also provide data like:
- key browsing behaviors
- the products/services visitors are interested in
With this data, you can discover actionable insights to improve your SEO campaign.
Google Analytics is free to use.
- AgencyAnalytics – All-in-one reporting platform for SEO agencies.
- Supermetrics – Powerful reporting automation tool for PPC & SEO.
6. Miscellaneous Software
There are tons of specialized tools used by SEO & Digital Marketing agencies.
These tools can help your business provide additional SEO solutions like:
- Local SEO – To help small businesses improve local search engine rankings and get more clients.
- Competitor Research – To analyze your competitors’ SEO campaigns and incorporate their tactics.
Let’s take a closer look at a specialized competitor analysis tool.
SpyFu is a competitor keyword research tool for SEO and Adwords PPC (Pay per click ads).
Want insights on your competitor’s SEO strategy?
SpyFu reveals their campaign secrets by giving you data on their most profitable keywords for organic and paid search.
Here are the features that make SpyFu an excellent SEO tool.
1. Domain Search
SpyFu scans your competitor’s website and displays what keywords they rank for in Google.
You can also view your competitors’ organic traffic rankings over the last nine years.
This also helps you identify what keywords were purchased on Adwords and what their Google search ads are.
2. Smart Recommendations
SpyFu gives you good keyword recommendations to boost your SEO campaigns.
The tool can detect bad keywords you’re currently ranking for and give you alternatives to try instead. This way, you’re not wasting time on unprofitable opportunities.
SpyFu offers three plans:
- Basic (1 user): $33/month
- Professional (1 user): $58/month
- Team (5 users): $199/month
- iSpionage – Similar to SpyFu, this tool gives insights into how users interact with your competitor’s websites.
- KeywordSpy – This tool also allows you to track keywords for PPC opportunities.
Whether you’re just starting your SEO business or looking to streamline your existing services, you’re going to need good SEO agency software.
Simply check out the tools we covered here to get started immediately!
Have any other questions about the right tools for your SEO agency?
Let us know in the comments below.