Managing networks and computer systems round the clock are no easy task. You need to monitor how each remote device behaves, what devices join the network and more.
Fortunately, remote desktop monitoring software tools help you with that.
But if all you need is basic remote desktop monitoring, you can use employee monitoring tools to do the job while ensuring your employees work productively.
But with several tools available today, which one is the best for you?
In this article, we’ll briefly cover what remote desktop monitoring software is. Then, we’ll highlight 15 computer monitoring tools along with their key features, pricing, and user ratings to help you make an informed decision.
This Article Contains:
(Click on the links to jump to a specific topic)
(includes key features, pricing, and user ratings)
- Employee Monitoring Software
- Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) Tools
Let’s get started.
What is Remote Desktop Monitoring Software?
Remote desktop monitoring software helps MSPs (Managed Service Providers) and third-party IT service companies remotely monitor clients’ networks, computers, and endpoints.
What are endpoints?
An endpoint is a remote computing device that communicates back and forth with the network to which it’s connected. Workstations and servers are examples of endpoints.
For example, when a remote desktop monitoring tool detects a problem on a client machine or network, it creates an alert. This alert or ticket can be sent back to the MSP to take necessary action for issue resolution.
Let’s check out a few benefits of desktop monitoring software:
- The network admin can control and manage the network from anywhere, saving both time and money.
- Handles most of the routine maintenance that an IT infrastructure requires, ensuring everything is running smoothly.
- Improved security as RMM software (Remote Monitoring and Management) receives real-time information on intrusions or attempted security breaches.
- Limits user access by determining who can have access to a certain endpoint or device, making it difficult for intruders to steal data.
Additionally, you have employee monitoring tools that help record a user’s computer activity remotely.
For instance, some of the employee monitoring tools are designed to track the websites and apps a remote employee accesses. On the other hand, some analyze user behavior to identify any insider threat.
Now that we know what remote desktop monitoring tools are and why they’re important let’s look at various tools available today.
Top 15 Remote Desktop Monitoring Software in 2021
To make it easier, we’ve split this list of tools into two categories — employee monitoring software and remote monitoring and management tools.
Let’s have a detailed look at it:
A. Employee Monitoring Software
Here are 7 top remote employee monitoring software available today:
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is a user-friendly employee monitoring software designed for SMBs like Firehouse Subs and large corporations like Verizon.
It allows you to track the time spent on tasks, manage attendance and employee schedules, and even gain deep insights into their productivity — making it an excellent tool for remote team monitoring.
- Offers both manual and automatic employee time tracking.
- Real-time attendance monitoring with the help of detailed attendance reports.
- Create and edit employee shifts and schedules with the Work Schedules feature.
- Categorize websites and apps according to their productivity levels.
- Gain powerful insights into performance with accurate reports.
- Screencasts to see what your employees are working on.
- Use the powerful Chrome browser extension to track time spent on other apps like Asana and ClickUp.
Paid plans start at as low as $7/user per month. It also offers a 14-day free trial without any credit card requirement.
- G2: 4.4/5 (230+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (365+ reviews)
Kickidler is a real-time employee monitoring app that helps track productivity, increase data security measures and control the organization’s devices remotely – making it easy to manage any remote worker.
- Conduct multiple sessions of remote computer monitoring with an intuitive interface called Quadrator.
- Remote PC control software for remotely configuring programs, computer operating systems, browse local files, and more.
- Keystroke logger to see what keys are being pressed.
- Track and monitor the work hours of employees or the whole team.
- Monitor employee violations for restricted apps, websites, and files.
Pricing plans start at $3.67/month per 3 years.
- G2: 4.7/5 (5+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (35+ reviews)
Teramind is an employee monitoring tool that focuses on workplace productivity and insider threat detection. It also offers features like user behavior analytics, live desktop monitoring, video capture with playback, and more.
- Offers automated time tracking feature that runs silently in the background.
- Customizable reports for monitoring employee activities along with web and app tracking.
- Ability to track mouse and keyboard activity.
- Track local, web, as well as, USB file transfers.
- Screenshots functionality that captures screen every 10 minutes to monitor employee activity.
Paid plans start at $10/user per month for cloud and, on-premise starts at $5/endpoint per month.
- G2: 3.9/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (60+ reviews)
Hubstaff is a free remote desktop software that helps freelancers and small businesses with time and remote productivity tracking.
It offers functionalities like employee scheduling, payroll management, and a time clock kiosk with facial recognition software.
Read more about Hubstaff in our detailed review.
- Automated Kanban workflows for keeping projects organized.
- Records computer activity levels based on mouse and keyboard usage.
- Geofencing to automatically track your team’s time and location on the move.
- Compatible with macOS, Linux, and Windows computer devices.
- Integrates CRM and project management tools like Asana and Jira.
Paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.3/5 (360+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1150+ reviews)
Desktime is a fully automated time and employee tracking tool suitable for business owners as well as freelancers.
It helps boost employee productivity and accountability through features such as automatic screenshots and activity level trackers.
Learn more about Desktime in this Desktime vs. Time Doctor comparison article.
- Pomodoro timer to avoid employee burnout.
- Web and app tracking feature for web monitoring.
- Capture employees’ computer screens at random intervals.
- Easy integration with tools like Jira and Basecamp.
- Offers Android and iOS mobile device apps.
Paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (15+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4 /5 (220+ reviews)
ActivTrak is an employee and PC monitoring software that offers powerful insights into employee performance and productivity.
It also offers automatic time tracking, an intuitive dashboard, and screenshots functionality.
Check out our detailed ActivTrak review.
- Block access to unproductive websites for specific individuals or the whole remote team.
- Screenshots functionality to determine what an employee is working on.
- Offers various detailed reports like single-day productivity reports, working hours reports, and more.
- Custom alarm triggers to alert managers of unproductive activities.
- Offers both iOS and Android mobile apps.
Paid plans start at $9/month per user when billed annually.
- G2: 4.5/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (500+ reviews)
InterGuard is a remote employee monitoring solution that helps track time use, web filtering, prevent data leaks and protect organizations against insider threats.
- Offers employee time tracking and attendance tools.
- Social media monitoring to prevent employees from accessing unproductive websites.
- Web filtering to protect computer systems from malware.
- Idle time tracking for enhancing employee efficiency.
- Real-time alerts to help you act on violations immediately.
Plans start at $9.99/user per month for 11-25 users.
- G2: 3/5 (5+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4/5 (30+ reviews)
B. Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) Tools
Here’s a list of eight handpicked remote desktop monitoring tools:
1. Ekran System
Ekran System is an insider threat protection platform that helps businesses monitor, record, and audit all user activity on critical endpoints.
- Record filtering to log user data optimally.
- Can track and notify the security team about remote device connections.
- Citrix and Windows user activity monitoring on servers and workstations with local, RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol), and terminal session recording.
- Offers Telnet SSH (Secure Shell) session recording for Linux and UNIX servers.
- Offline monitoring feature for collecting and monitoring data if the clients’ network connection goes down.
Contact sales team for pricing details.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (10+ reviews)
AeroAdmin is a remote desktop software that connects computers in different local area networks, behind NAT (Network Access Translation).
- Automatically detects network configuration and provides stable NAT pass-through connections.
- Unattended access on Windows to administer computers and servers without human presence.
- Contact book to store remote computers ID or IP, names, and additional info for instant remote computer access.
- Supports end-to-end encryption with AES and RSA algorithms for all remote control sessions.
- File system to transfer files through an encrypted channel.
Pricing plans start at $83.9/year for one license with one working seat.
- G2: 3.5/5 (5+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (5+ reviews)
3. Dameware Remote Support
Dameware Remote Support is an easy-to-use remote support software solution that assists IT admins and support technicians with IT administration tasks.
- Can initiate remote connectivity with devices over the LAN as well as the internet.
- Ability to reboot, copy and delete files, and start and stop processes on the remote desktop.
- Offers system tools and TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) utilities to troubleshoot without launching a full remote session.
- Can remotely unlock user accounts, reset passwords, and more.
- Offers Dameware iOS and Android mobile apps to access any remote computer on the go.
Plans start at $407 per install.
- G2: 4.2/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (225+ reviews)
4. LogMeIn Central
LogMeIn Central is a cloud-based remote monitoring and management software that helps IT professionals effectively monitor and manage endpoint infrastructure.
- Real-time alerts with extensive system health monitoring for proactive support.
- Run scripts or commands when alerts pop up to perform the resolution automatically.
- Run hardware and software reports to determine status and computer performance.
- Monitor third-party solutions that are out of date and automatically deploy patches.
- Automatically updates all Windows PCs and systems throughout your network.
Plans start at $80/month for a minimum of 25 computers.
- G2: 4.2/5 (180+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (300+ reviews)
5. TeamViewer Remote Management
TeamViewer Remote Management offers integrated RMM solutions that help you monitor business-critical aspects of your IT, detect and patch software vulnerabilities, and protect your devices against external threats, and more.
- Monitors the availability and issues of network devices like printers and routers.
- Dashboard to track and manage IT assets.
- Patch management for detecting outdated software vulnerabilities.
- Can remotely deploy software over distributed networks and devices.
- Web monitoring for analyzing and improving load speeds and transactions of websites.
Plans start at $2.16/month per endpoint.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
LANVisor is a remote computer monitoring software that allows you to view and record desktop activities of PCs connected to your local network.
- Can control power options and sound volume of remote PCs.
- Supports monitoring of several remote screens simultaneously.
- Easy access to remote control utilities like RDP and TeamViewer for controlling mouse and keyboard.
- Supports stealth mode for client software on remote PC.
- Record screenshots of actions of any virtual desktop connected to the network.
Starts at $69 for five computer licenses.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
7. Ninja RMM
Ninja RMM is a remote monitoring software suitable for small to medium-sized businesses.
It supports network monitoring and patch management across industries like IT, education, healthcare, and more.
- Multi-platform endpoint management for issue resolution without interrupting end-users.
- Easily configure patching preferences with granular patch management workflow.
- Scripting and automation functionalities to save time on repetitive tasks and basic remediations.
- Powerful IT infrastructure monitoring solution to identify and resolve issues.
- Built-in cloud file and folder solution for fast and uninterrupted backup.
Contact support for a personalized quote.
- G2: 4.8/5 (190+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.9/5 (135+ reviews)
8. Kaseya VSA
Kaseya VSA is an integrated IT systems management platform that helps streamline and automate your IT services.
It allows businesses to improve employee productivity, make their services reliable, and boosts system security.
- Remote control for remotely troubleshooting and managing clients’ computers.
- Offers private remote control sessions on a windows server or workstations.
- Easy one-click script execution for resolving common issues.
- Monitors end-user terminal server sessions to more easily identify and resolve issues.
- Policy-based patch management to automate and standardize software maintenance.
Pricing is available on request.
- G2: 4/5 (125+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4/5 (185+ reviews)
Regularly monitoring your employees, devices, and network lets you control user access and activity to enhance security.
An employee monitoring tool provides the added insight into user behavior, and web and desktop activity. Moreover, a remote PC monitoring software solution helps simplify the IT management workflows and allows MSPs to focus on their core competencies.
Go through the remote desktop monitoring tools we covered above to find the one that suits you best.