Looking for excellent employee productivity tracking software?
Today, most managers just don’t want employees to add extra work hours to their workdays; instead, they want their team to spend their work hours efficiently.
But how do you assess employee performance to see if they’re making the most of their potential?
Thanks to employee productivity tracking software, measuring productivity is now a piece of cake.
In this article, we’ll highlight the top 7 employee productivity tracking software that can help your employees give their best at work.
This Article Covers:
(click on specific links to jump to a particular section)
- Top 7 employee productivity tracking software
- Benefits of an employee productivity tracking software
Let’s get rolling.
Top 7 Employee Productivity Tracking Software
With vendors offering such a plethora of options to track employees’ productivity, which software should you go for?
Let’s answer that by looking at the seven best productivity tracking software that you can use today.
Note: We’ve discussed the benefits of using productivity tracking software later in the article. You can jump to that section if you wish to read the advantages first. You can always scroll back here when you’re done.
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is the ultimate productivity tracking software.
Used by a broad range of professionals, from freelancers and small businesses to teams at large corporations such as Ericsson and Verizon, it’s the perfect productivity management software for any business.
Its unique blend of powerful functionalities like idle time tracking and screencasts, high data security features, and a friendly user interface make it the best productivity tool in the market.
Let’s have a closer look at some of its best features:
1. Interactive Time Tracking
Time Doctor offers the easiest way to manage time accurately.
To start time tracking, all you have do is:
- Open Time Doctor in manual mode.
- Enter the name of your task.
- Press the ‘Start’ button.
Time Doctor will then begin tracking your time in the background as you work comfortably on your PC.
You can pause the time tracking by clicking on the ‘Stop’ button when you have completed a task or when you want to take a break.
In addition, Time Doctor offers an option to automate time tracking. With this feature, you don’t have to worry about starting the time tracker every time you work.
Time Doctor will automatically track your time from the moment you turn on your PC until you close it.
2. Detailed Reports
Unlike the complicated features of similar remote monitoring apps, Time Doctor offers detailed productivity reports in a minimalistic and intuitive user interface.
The different productivity metrics that Time Doctor can auto-generate for you include:
- Timeline Report: See the time employees spend on tasks and breaks.
- Projects and Tasks Report: Determine how much time employees take to complete tasks and projects.
- Hours Tracked: See how many hours your employees have tracked time per day, week, etc.
- Activity Summary Report: Get real-time reports of the employee’s active time.
- Web and App Report: Track the time team members spend on different applications and websites.
3. Productivity Ratings
The work related websites that are productive for your Facebook advertising manager may not be productive for an accounting department employee, right?
Most productivity software classifies social media sites and specific communication tools as unproductive for all employees.
This means that the productivity app will categorize the time your advertising manager spends on Facebook as unproductive!
However, that’s not the case with Time Doctor.
Time Doctor doesn’t automatically classify sites as productive or unproductive.
Instead, it allows managers/admins to choose whether they want to classify sites as:
Productivity reports of employees are generated based on these four unique productivity ratings.
4. Idle Time Tracking
With Time Doctor, you can track the idle time of your employees.
What’s idle time?
Idle time is a minute or second where there are no keyboard strokes or mouse movements detected on the employee’s computer.
It can likely be anywhere between 5-70% depending on the user’s role. It’s, however, impossible to have 0% idle time.
How can tracking idle time help?
Idle time tracking ensures that your employees don’t log their inactive time as work. Additionally, your clients and freelancers are billed only for their active time.
Note: Time Doctor does not support keystroke logging. It only monitors whether some keys are pressed or not to protect user privacy.
Time Doctor allows you to capture screenshots of your employees’ computer screens at random intervals.
This is a handy optional feature as it encourages both in-house and remote employees to stay away from distracting sites at work.
Screencasts allow managers to:
- See and download the (selected) screencasts.
- Change the timezone.
- View screencasts with no/low user activity.
- User-friendly interface for easy productivity tracking.
- Offers both manual and automatic employee time tracking modes.
- Track time without an internet connection.
- Create and assign different projects to your employees.
- Powerful payroll management system to pay employees and bill clients.
- Offers dozens of integrations with project management tools like Trello, Jira.
- Monitor all the website pages remote workers visit during their remote work time.
- Strict privacy and data security policies.
- Responsive customer support team.
- Powerful mobile app for Android devices.
Time Doctor gives you a 14-day free trial that doesn’t require any credit card info. Paid plans start as low as $8/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (300+ reviews)
Hubstaff is another good option for tracking the productivity of your employees.
It offers employee productivity monitoring features like screenshots, reporting, and URL tracking.
Though Hubstaff has some unique features like task management and geofencing, its productivity reports are very limited. Consequently, you can’t go into the granular details of how employees spent their time at work.
- Powerful geofence functionality for live location tracking.
- Easy generation of timesheets to bill clients or pay your team.
- Offers both online and offline activity monitoring.
- Optional screenshot feature as well as app and URL tracking to monitor remote work.
Hubstaff’s free plan offers basic features like time tracking for a single user. Paid plans start from $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (330+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1100+reviews)
ActivTrak is an employee monitoring solution that can enhance your team’s productivity.
It offers a workforce intelligence dashboard that gives powerful insights into your team’s performance.
The trade-off is that you can’t customize your dashboard widgets to suit your brand requirements, like adding pictures, changing colors, etc.
- Compare productivity levels between individuals and groups.
- Know your top performer’s habits so that you can coach those patterns to other team members.
- Set automated caps on unproductive breaks.
- Business intelligence style dashboard to track performance.
- Experiment with goals, test strategies, review results to minimize time wastage.
ActivTrak’s free plan offers limited visibility into activity and productivity for up to 3 users. Paid plans start at $7.2/user per month for a minimum of 5 users.
- G2: 4.5/5 (130+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (500+ reviews)
ClickTime is an employee productivity monitoring software that can help your team perform better while working on projects and tasks.
You can get insights on project progress, get project reports, the number of employees required on the project, billable hours, etc.
However, ClickTime does not give you options to copy, paste, edit, or add repetitive tasks.
- Intuitive and easy-to-use software.
- Offers insights into project budgets to reduce project costs.
- Gives 80+ reports on timesheet management, resource utilization, billable hours, etc.
- Detailed project reports to help analyze ROI (Return of Investment).
- Available on web, desktop, and mobile.
All plans have a free 14-day-trial period. Paid plans start at $9/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (180+ reviews)
5. Toggl Track
Toggl Track is another great productivity tracker for businesses of all sizes.
Available both as a web and mobile app, this time tracking tool offers real-time employee productivity tracking in an easy to use interface.
Unfortunately, Toggl doesn’t allow you to capture screenshots for advanced productivity tracking of remote teams. Additionally, the starter paid plan comes with minimal reporting functionality.
- Supports manual and automatic time tracking for effective time management.
- Detects and tracks idle time.
- Allows users to set a Pomodoro timer.
- Schedule alerts to notify you when projects go over their estimated time.
- Integrates with tools like Freshbooks, Asana, and Basecamp.
Toggl Track offers a free plan with the basic features for teams of up to five members. Paid plans start at $8/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (1000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1000+ reviews)
Teramind gives managers a strong employee monitoring space with advanced monitoring features and productivity reports.
However, the in-depth computer monitoring software features can be complex, and it can take a lot of time before you understand how they work.
- Intuitive UI and user-friendly dashboard.
- Video recording of all remote workforce actions.
- Built-in remote desktop control (RDP) and real-time alerts.
- Excellent privacy compliance and data security features.
- Data loss prevention features like fingerprinting, OCR (Optical Character Recognition), etc.
Teramind offers a 7-day free trial. Paid plans start at $10/month per user.
- G2: 4.1/5 (25+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (60+ reviews)
DeskTime is a popular employee tracking software that can help increase your team’s productivity.
It also offers a private time option for employees. When the option is enabled, employee behavior isn’t tracked – giving them the freedom to browse non work related websites during breaks.
However, Desktime only connects with a handful of third-party apps – so you might not be able to integrate it with your favorite work tools.
- Track time spent on different projects, desktop apps, and websites.
- Identify top performers and employees who are constantly underperforming.
- Manage employee scheduling and attendance tracking processes.
- Create accurate invoices based on the tracked time.
DeskTime is free for a single user. Paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (15+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (130+ reviews)
Benefits Of An Employee Productivity Tracking Software
Employee productivity tracking offers countless benefits. Let’s quickly go through a few of them:
1. Evaluates And Improves The Productivity Of Employees
With real-time reporting of employee performance, managers can:
- Track employee performance and know when they’re productive or unproductive.
- Build a better relationship with employees by understanding and interacting with them about improving their work skills.
- Give underperforming employees more training and assistance.
- Reward, recognize, and assign more responsibilities to highly productive employees.
With useful productivity management software in place, managers don’t have to be involved in every task. They can monitor employees without having to micro-manage tasks.
2. Improves Employee Engagement
When your team members know that they’re being tracked with the employee monitoring tool, they’re more aware of their performance.
Consequently, employees can also take proactive steps to improve their performance, such as:
- Blocking distractions.
- Reducing idle time.
- Taking frequent breaks to prevent burnout, etc.
When the management is tracking employees’ work and active hours, your employees are also more accountable for your organization’s goals and objectives.
Improved focus on work means employees are more productive and engaged in the workplace.
3. Effective Project Management
The time tracking feature of productivity tracking apps will help you estimate the time taken on various tasks so you can finish the project before the deadline.
You can use this estimated timeline to proactively plan, schedule, organize, and prioritize tasks for efficient project management.
With productivity monitoring software, you can also track hidden tasks that are not directly related to the project, like client meetings, administrative tasks like scanning, uploading files, etc., and factor these to better estimate project timelines.
Employee activity can also be recorded and viewed later by the supervisors so that they can take the necessary steps to manage employee performance and optimize high ROI (Return on Investment) tasks.
Productivity tracking software can be an extremely versatile tool for any company.
The tools mentioned in this list can increase the efficiency of your company’s workflow, spur your employee performance, and make your business flourish.
However, not every tool will be able to track productivity as well as Time Doctor.
It’s got lots of useful features that allow you to see how employees use their time, track idle and active time, and reports to analyze overall productivity.
So why not get started with Time Doctor’s 14-day free trial and see all the benefits of tracking productivity yourself?
Liam Martin is a co-founder of Time Doctor—a time tracking and productivity monitoring software designed for tracking hours and productivity of remote teams.