Looking for the best employee monitoring software for Mac?
Managers are continually looking towards employee monitoring software to help their teams be more productive.
And while employee monitoring does raise some concerns, you won’t have any trouble boosting productivity with the right software.
So which employee monitoring software Mac should you go for?
Fortunately, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll highlight the best 10 employee monitoring platforms for Mac OS X users.
This article includes:
(Click on the links to jump to a specific section)
- What is Employee Monitoring Software?
- Top 10 Employee Monitoring Software Mac
Let’s get started.
What is Employee Monitoring Software?
Employee monitoring software is a tool businesses use to monitor employees’ productivity, track attendance, record billable hours, and more.
Before you make a choice, you need to ensure that the computer monitoring software have certain key features such as:
- App & website usage monitoring.
- PC and Mac computer activity tracking.
- Recording the time spent on projects & tasks.
- Screenshot logging.
- GPS tracking.
- Keystroke logging, and more.
Due to the rise of Mac spy software and other malicious tracking software, many organizations are using an employee monitoring solution to protect themselves from insider threats.
While the Mac OS offers strong built-in protection against spyware and viruses, companies can’t be too careful.
Top 10 Employee Monitoring Software Mac
Here are the ten best computer monitoring software available for Mac OS X:
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is an employee productivity tracking software used by major companies, like Ericsson, as well as by small businesses, like FirehouseSubs, to help managers and employees optimize their performance.
Designed with the needs of remote employees in mind, it makes time tracking and reporting a breeze — even for in-house teams.
With Time Doctor, you’ll be able to pay your staff and bill your clients with unparalleled accuracy.
Let’s take a look at Time Doctor’s key features:
A. Simple Time Tracking
With Time Doctor, you can track time spent on projects and tasks with ease.
Users have full control over the time tracking process.
Time Doctor allows you to track time manually using the desktop software.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you out:
- After downloading the software, open the Time Doctor app.
- Type the name of the task.
- To start recording, click the play button to start the timer.
- To stop recording, click the pause button.
It’s that simple!
You can also choose to track time when your computer is turned on with the automatic time tracking feature.
B. Idle Time Pop-up
With the idle time pop-up, you’ll be able to keep your team members focused at work.
Time Doctor detects when your employee has been inactive.
How does it work?
When there’s no keyboard or mouse activity detected for a certain period, Time Doctor triggers a pop-up.
It prompts your employee to either stop the timer and go on a break or continue working. This way, you can prevent staff members from logging idle time and falsifying time records.
C. Comprehensive Real-Time Reports
Get a more in-depth insight into employee performance with detailed productivity reports.
Here are a few reports you can get with Time Doctor:
- Hours Tracked: pinpoint the number of hours tracked daily, weekly, and monthly.
- Web and App Report: determine how you and your team members spend time on various applications and websites.
- Timeline Report: collect valuable intel on time spent on projects, tasks, and breaks over a specified period.
- Project and Tasks Report: see how much time is spent on a particular project or task.
- Activity Summary Report: summarizes (in real-time) the number of active minutes, productive and unproductive time over a specific period.
With this monitoring feature, you can view screenshots of an employee’s work screen (one user at a time).
Here’s how it works:
- Select the team member whose screenshots you want to view.
- Select the relevant period.
- Choose a screenshot thumbnail. Maximize the image, and review the keyboard and mouse activity that occurred over the period.
Note: The mouse and keyboard activity number is based on the approximate amount of mouse clicks or strokes recorded from previous screencasts. Time Doctor is not a keylogger.
E. Integrations and Chrome Extension
Time Doctor integrates with a variety of third-party applications.
The software offers plenty of add-ons and integrations for:
- Project Management Tools: Office 365, Trello, Wrike, and more.
- Payments & Online Invoicing Software: TransferWise, PayPal, and more.
- Help Desk Software: Zendesk, Phabricator, Help Scout, and more.
- CRM Software: Zoho and Pipedrive.
Additionally, you can track time spent on tasks within other software using the Chrome extension.
For example, you’ll have the ability to view how much time it takes for an employee to respond to a customer on Help Scout – with the help of the extension.
Here’s how it works:
- Download and install the Chrome Extension from the Chrome web store.
- Once installed, an extension button will be visible in your browser.
- A “start timer” button will appear (in any task) on your chosen app (e.g., Asana or Trello).
- To start recording time, simply click the button, behavior done, click “stop timer.”
- The Chrome extension syncs with the desktop app, meaning that time tracked on other apps will appear in the desktop app and in your reports on Time Doctor’s website.
- Track work hours in real-time.
- Monitor detailed website and app usage.
- Track time without an internet connection.
- Assign and create different projects for team members.
- Comprehensive reporting capabilities
- Get tracking reminders and time use alerts.
- Mobile-friendly time tracking.
- Strict privacy and data security policies.
- Responsive customer support team.
Time Doctor offers you a 14-day free trial without having to share your credit card info.
Paid plans are suited to all budgets and start as low as $8/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (170+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (320+ reviews)
Hubstaff is another great remote employee monitoring software for virtual teams, freelancers, and contractors.
With Hubstaff, you can schedule tasks, manage timesheets, and track hours – all across various time zones. However, its productivity reports aren’t as versatile as compared to other monitoring tools.
- Geofence for live location tracking.
- Offline and online time tracking capabilities.
- Optional screenshot feature
- App and URL tracking tool to monitor website usage.
- Simple and fast timesheet generation to pay teams and bill clients.
Hubstaff offers a limited free plan which includes a basic time tracking tool for a single user. Paid plans start from $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (330+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1100+ reviews)
Teramind is another cross-functional PC monitoring software that runs on both Mac and Windows devices.
With Teramind, you can track employee web browsing, software usage, file transfers, etc.
Teramind’s powerful algorithms provide a baseline for user behavior. If any anomalies are detected, you’ll be notified in real-time and can take immediate action.
However, the user interface can be tricky to navigate and has a steep learning curve.
- User & Entity Behavior Analytics (UEBA).
- File Transfer Tracking.
- Built-in remote desktop control (RDP) and real-time alerts.
- Track & control employee social media and internet usage.
- Keystroke tracking.
- Data loss prevention features like OCR (Optical Character Recognition).
Teramind’s pricing plans start from $10/user per month.
- G2: 4.1/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (60+ reviews)
ActivTrak is a remote employee tracking software that allows you to elevate your team’s productivity. Its workforce intelligence dashboard gives powerful insights into employee performance.
You can also monitor screenshots, your employees’ activity duration, and idle time to get a holistic view of your team’s performance.
- Remote screen viewing.
- View screenshot history.
- Custom alarm triggers to alert you of unproductive activities.
- Compare productivity between groups and individuals.
ActivTrak’s freemium plan allows basic productivity monitoring for up to 3 users. Paid plans begin from $7.20/ user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (130+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (500+ reviews)
Kickidler provides you with real-time employee screen monitoring features.
It lets you control your organization’s computers remotely, making it easy to manage any remote worker. Kickidler also analyzes employee efficiency, worktime, and employee violation history.
- Live computer monitoring in real-time.
- Record and playback an employee’s activity history.
- Robust security filters to block malicious sites and potentially harmful files.
- Retrieve employee tracking activity history with ease.
- Automatically creates a back-up file detailing individual employee activity.
Kickidler’s pricing model is based on the time duration and amount of licenses you purchase. Starting from $3.06/user per month, you can monitor one workstation for three years.
- G2: 4.7/5 (5+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (20+ reviews)
DeskTime is an employee monitoring software that lets you track time spent on work-related tasks so that you can calculate your team’s overall productivity.
With auto screenshots and activity level trackers, you get a bird’s-eye view of your team’s progress and performance.
- Easily identify top performers and underperforming employees.
- Automatic time monitoring.
- Accurate invoicing based on tracked time.
- Mobile app compatible with Android and iOS mobile devices.
DeskTime offers a free plan. Paid plans start from as little as $7/user per month (for a single user.)
- G2: 4.6/5 (15+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (130+ reviews)
Workpuls is another good choice for small businesses seeking to enhance productivity.
With this tracking software, you can monitor employees, streamline workflows, and manage remote teams.
You’ll have access to a host of behavioral data insights as well as reliable monitoring features.
- Comprehensive screenshots with customizable reporting.
- Automatic timesheet generator.
- Stealth mode – track suspicious employee activity and prevent data breaches.
- Automated time tracking software monitors clock-ins, outs, and overtime hours with precision.
Workpuls offers a seven-day free trial and has three pricing options starting from $6/ user per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (40+ reviews)
Veriato Vision provides you full control over the activities and programs you monitor.
Their solution provides remote monitoring of individuals, groups, departments, and employees.
- Video record screen activity.
- Track data within an organization and block it from being shared externally.
- Separated metadata logs such as file monitoring, URL, email, and others.
- Automated behavior grouping, anomaly detection, and incident response.
- Helpful risk score dashboard detects various types of threats.
Veriato charges $150 per license for a minimum of three users.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4/5 (70+ reviews)
SentryPC shows you exactly how your employees are using their computers.
Its robust platform allows you to filter content, restrict website access, and actively monitor your employees.
- Time management and scheduling.
- Disable and enable sites like YouTube and Facebook during allocated periods.
- Optimized responsiveness for simple mobile viewing.
- Access detailed events reporting and view detailed user computer activity.
- Parental control feature for parents to monitor and control their children’s web activity.
SentryPC’s basic plan starts at $59.95 per year for a single license.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
EaseMon is a monitoring app for both Mac and Windows that tracks your employees’ computer activities from a central location.
This remote monitoring software records keystrokes, chat logs, emails, web history, and app usage to keep you up-to-date with your team.
- IM (Instant Messaging) chat monitoring.
- Block inappropriate apps and games.
- Screen time limit feature to restrict access after a certain period.
- Automated alerts when inappropriate activity is detected.
- Remotely restart/shut down the target computer.
EaseMon offers two plans starting from $29.99/user per month. They also provide a 3-day free trial and don’t require a credit card.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
A robust employee monitoring tool is essential to improve workplace productivity..
Investing in a good monitoring platform helps minimize disruptions and can assist your business to stay agile in this ever-changing work environment.
While there are many software vendors and tools available for Mac devices, Time Doctor is an excellent option. Time Doctor provides everything you’ll need to ensure your employees stay productive during their work hours.
So sign up for Time Doctor and watch your team’s productivity levels soar!
- How to Track Team Productivity and Improve Performance in 2021 -
- 10 Excellent Attendance Tracking Software In 2021 (Features, Pricing) -
- 5 Top-Tier Time Tracking Tools For Freelancers In 2021 -
- Top 10 Team Productivity Tools In 2021 (Features, Pricing) -
- The 2021 Guide To Social Media Usage Reporting -