Looking for a feature-by-feature Hubstaff vs Teramind comparison?
Tracking the time worked by remote employees and in-house staff is crucial to your business. However, you might not have enough time on your hands to keep a tab on their working hours.
This is where the right time tracking tool can help.
And while both Hubstaff and Teramind are good time tracking and employee monitoring software, deciding on the ideal one for your needs can be tricky.
In this article, we’ll explain what these tools are and compare their key features to make your choice a little easier. We’ll also offer an excellent alternative to the two.
This Article Contains:
(Click on the links below to go to a specific section)
- What is Hubstaff?
- What is Teramind?
- Hubstaff vs Teramind
Let’s get started.
What is Hubstaff?
Hubstaff is an employee monitoring tool that can help you track time spent on tasks and projects. It’s popular among freelancers as well as business owners looking to monitor their teams.
Here are some Hubstaff features in a nutshell:
- Time tracking with desktop and mobile apps for Android and iOS devices.
- Employee productivity monitoring with screenshots, app, and website tracking.
- GPS tracking so your team can clock in and out from anywhere.
- Online team attendance tracker and scheduler.
What is Teramind?
Teramind is a monitoring and behavior tracking solution that offers a range of productivity optimization tools.
Primarily an employee activity monitoring solution, Teramind also has valuable data loss prevention capabilities.
Here are a few basic features offered by this solution:
- Monitor and control team activity to ensure compliance with company guidelines.
- Generate customizable, advanced reports to gauge team productivity, etc.
- Powerful user behavior analytics, including video recordings of user actions.
- Insider threat detection.
- DLP (data loss prevention) and defense against data breaches, data leaks, and IP theft.
- Integration with Quickbooks for quicker payroll, accurate invoicing, and billing.
Hubstaff vs Teramind: Feature-by-Feature Comparison
While you can use both these tools to track hours and manage productivity, their functionalities differ.
Let’s see how they stack up against each other:
1. Time Tracking
Time tracking is an important business activity, whether it’s tracking employee working hours or a contractors’ billable hours.
Here’s how these tracking software fare against each other:
A. Hubstaff Time Tracking
With Hubstaff’s manual time tracking feature, you can track the time spent on every project and task.
Your team can quickly start and stop the timer from the Mac, Windows, or Linux desktop apps.
They can also track time directly from the Chrome browser or your mobile device (Android and iOS systems.)
What does Hubstaff do with time tracked?
It organizes all the data into two dashboards – ‘Me’ and ‘Team.’
If you select the ‘Me’ dashboard, you’ll be able to see:
- How many hours you worked for the day.
- How many hours you worked for the week, along with the activity percentage.
The ‘Team’ dashboard shows you:
- The same information as displayed under the ‘Me’ dashboard but for the entire team.
- Which of your team members are online.
- In-house team member or remote worker activity levels.
- The number of hours worked for the week by your team.
You can also view timesheets to see the number of hours an employee worked on a project.
B. Teramind Time Tracking
While Teramind does track the number of hours worked, it focuses more on employee monitoring and productivity analysis.
You can choose whether you want your team to know they are being tracked or not before installing Teramind.
Once installed, Teramind tracks employee’s time automatically and displays it as:
- Session Time: Total time your employee has been logged into their computer. Work hours + Locked session time (when the screensaver is on or the Lock command is initiated in Windows).
- Work Time: Shows your employee’s active time plus their idle time. See whether a team member was present or absent from work and the number of hours they’ve clocked for a selected date.
- Productive Time: Time spent on productive websites and applications based on the parameters you set.
- Unproductive Time: Total time spent in applications and websites you’ve classified as ‘Unproductive.’
- Productive (no idle): Measures user activity (i.e., time spent moving the mouse and typing on the keyboard) on the websites/applications.
- Active Time: Time spent engaging the mouse or keyboard.
- Idle Time: Time with no keyboard or mouse activity.
- Activity: Activity tracking shows the average activity percentage for a selected date range.
Hubstaff allows you to manually track the time when you start working on your computer. However, Teramind only offers automatic time tracking and allows you to track employee time and activity with or without their knowledge.
2. Employee Monitoring
These two tools have very different approaches to employee monitoring, with Hubstaff taking a more non-intrusive approach:
A. Hubstaff Employee Monitoring Solution
Hubstaff offers optional screenshots and web and application tracking so you can be up to date with your team’s activities:
1) Hubstaff Screenshots
By taking random screenshots of each team member’s work screen, Hubstaff lets you see what each employee is working on in real-time.
The employer or manager can set the feature to take a screenshot once, twice, or three times per ten seconds.
Alternatively, they can choose to turn the feature off.
2) Hubstaff Web and App Tracking
Website and app tracking let you see what websites and applications employees visit during working hours. This way, you visualize the time spent on a website for all your employees.
B. Teramind Employee Monitoring
Since Teramind has more advanced monitoring features than Hubstaff, it’s best to inform employees that they are being monitored to avoid privacy issues.
Let’s takes a look at these features:
1) Teramind Screen and Video Recordings
With Teramind, you can access screen recordings of employee activities once you have enabled the feature on the ‘Monitoring Profile’ of the employee.
This feature visually captures all screen activities of an employee in real-time. You can also choose to record the audio from their computer speaker and microphone.
Managers or employers can then view the live recordings or access past recordings.
2) Teramind Web and App Tracking
With the web and app tracking feature, you can view which websites your employees visit and block access to specific websites and apps.
You can also track all web activity and file downloads.
3) Online Activity Monitoring
With Teramind’s activity monitoring features, you can monitor emails, file transfers, messaging, online meetings, social media activities, etc.
Teramind also lets you:
- Monitor chats over web or desktop apps and block chats on any platform.
- View employee social media activities like posts, comments, updates on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc.
- Assist with keystroke logging and monitoring of copy/paste activity.
- Block any file upload to the cloud storage if necessary.
- Take control of any session, at any time from your browser or tablet, etc.
While both tools offer employee activity monitoring with screenshots and URL tracking, Teramind also lets you block employee activity remotely from your device.
3. Reports and Analytics
For you to evaluate and improve productivity, it’s vital to pinpoint where time is being wasted.
This is where reports and analytics help – showing you how time is being spent.
Here’s a glimpse into Hubstaff and Teramind reports and analytics features:
A. Hubstaff Reports
Hubstaff has a dedicated reports section where you can view team attendance, locations, time-off information, etc.
These are the reports you can generate with Hubstaff:
- Weekly Report: See how much time your team has worked for the week.
- Timesheet Report: An overview of time worked, activity levels, and amount earned by each team member.
- Manual Time Edits Report: If an employee forgot to clock in or needs to edit time for whatever reason, they can do so and explain the reason for the change.
- Attendance Report: View employee attendance, time-off, and schedule shifts.
- Project Budgets Report: View weekly limits for team members and how much of a project’s budget has been spent.
- Time and Activities Report: Precise timesheet reporting.
You can also customize reports to see all the information you need.
Additionally, you can schedule your reports beforehand. This way, you can automatically have them sent to yourself, clients, stakeholders, or anyone else.
B. Teramind Reports
Teramind has a complex range of reports available to analyze employee activity.
Here are some of the reports you can generate:
- Monitoring Reports: A useful monitoring feature that shows all the activities performed by a team member.
- Productivity Reports: See whether an employee is productive, unproductive, active, or idle.
- Risk Reports: Conduct company-wide risk assessments and view top risky users, rules, and objects (i.e., websites and apps).
- Business Intelligence Reports: Provides a simplified visualization and analysis of complex data about online activity, task and project engagement, work time analysis, etc. Within this category, there is a range of reports, which include:
- App and web usage report.
- Email report.
- Behavior alerts.
- Log in sessions.
- Social media.
- Keystroke report.
Hubstaff offers six different customizable reports related to team productivity. On the other hand, Teramind offers four main categories of reports relating to monitoring, business intelligence, productivity metrics, and risk assessments.
4. Task and Project Management
The best time tracking and productivity management apps help you manage each task and project to deliver on budget and on time.
How good are Hubstaff and Teramind when it comes to project management?
Let’s find out:
A. Hubstaff Tasks and Project Management
Hubstaff offers two features that enable task and project management:
1) Automated Kanban-style Workflows For Tasks
With Hubstaff Tasks, you can keep work prioritized using visual Kanban boards.
They categorize all your tasks based on their status. For example, ‘backlog,’ ‘in-progress,’ ‘completed,’ etc.
You can move tasks between categories with a few clicks.
2) Sprints for Project Management
Hubstaff Sprints is a fully automated project management feature.
It lets you build projects and plan your schedule for the week — giving you a bird’s eye view of your projects.
This feature also displays the top priorities so that employees know what they need to accomplish first.
B. Teramind Tasks and Project Management
As Teramind is more of an employee monitoring tool than a project management tool, it doesn’t have dedicated task and project management features.
Hubstaff allows you to track all your project tasks with ease. However, you can’t do the same with Teramind because it focuses more on user activity monitoring.
Let’s take a look at the pricing plans of each software vendor:
A. Hubstaff Pricing
The basic plan starts at $7 per user per month for a minimum of two users. There is also a free plan for one user with limited features.
B. Teramind Pricing
Teramind’s basic plan starts at $5/user per month for the on-premise solution and $10/user per month for the cloud solution. They also offer a 14-day free trial.
While Hubstaff has a free plan, its paid plans are slightly more expensive than Teramind.
A Smart Alternative to Hubstaff And Teramind
If you’re looking for a simpler employee productivity monitoring solution than Teramind and a better productivity management solution than Hubstaff — Time Doctor offers the best of both worlds!
What Is Time Doctor?
Time Doctor is a robust employee time tracking and performance management tool used by major companies such as Ericsson and small businesses, like Thrive Market to track and analyze activity and promote productivity.
Some of the key features include:
- Simple interactive and automatic time tracking.
- Detailed reports to help you gain insights into how employees are spending time.
- Productivity ratings feature that lets you customize which applications and websites you consider as productive and unproductive.
- Screenshots that enable you to see what your team is doing on their computers during the tracked time.
- A powerful Chrome extension lets you track time directly from other workplace software like Asana, Trello, Wrike, and Zendesk.
- Payroll feature that allows you to generate invoices and pay employees directly with the Paypal integration.
Final Verdict: Hubstaff vs Teramind
Hubstaff focuses on project management and productivity.
On the other hand, Teramind is primarily an employee monitoring software meant to give employers insight into their teams’ activities and identify any potential insider threat.
So you can use Teramind if data security is important to you. But, if you want to manage workflow, Hubstaff would be the better option.
However, if you’re looking for a straight-forward yet comprehensive productivity management solution — Time Doctor could be your go-to tool.
So why not sign up for Time Doctor and experience it for yourself?
Liam Martin is the co-founder of Time Doctor—one of the world’s leading time tracking software for remote teams. He is also the co-organizer of Running Remote, the world’s largest remote work conference.