Looking for an effective employee scheduling app?
Creating and maintaining staff schedules is critical to boosting the overall performance of your organization. On the other hand, manual scheduling with Excel or using a clunky staff scheduling app can be time-consuming, which affects your productivity.
So choosing the right software can make all the difference in making the process simpler.
This Article Contains:
(Use the links below and jump to a specific section)
- What is an Employee Scheduling App?
- 10 Best Employee Scheduling Apps for 2021
Let’s dive in.
What is an Employee Scheduling App?
An employee scheduling app automates the process of setting and monitoring work and break hours for your employees.
For example, at the beginning of each month or week, a manager considers the total workload and employee availability. Then, they use this information to assign shifts to each employee.
Ultimately, an employee schedule shows when each employee will be working across a given period.
Before digital technology took over, employers did this via analog methods such as punch cards and magnetic strips.
But as the scope and scale of employee scheduling expand, digital technology has brought in employee scheduling apps — which help you factor in multiple points to decide employee working hours for on-site and remote employees.
Here are some of the most significant benefits of using an employee schedule app:
- Maintain clear communication about everyone’s working hours.
- Keep records about work hours for tax and labor law compliance.
- Ensure employees work according to assigned hours.
- Prevent any additional labor cost from redundancies and overtime.
- Allow the team to access all employee schedule records remotely.
- Help employees maintain a work-life balance by managing their time better.
10 Best Employee Scheduling Apps Of 2021
Employers today can access a range of productivity software that lets them set a work schedule. We’ve handpicked the best among these to suit your specific needs.
Take a look at the top ten employee scheduling software available today:
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is a powerful employee scheduling and performance and workforce management tool used by major companies, like Verizon and Ericsson, as well as small businesses such as Thrive Market.
The app’s robust time tracking and scheduling features help boost productivity and streamline workflows for both managers and employees.
Here’s a quick look at why Time Doctor is the best employee scheduling app in 2021:
1. Time Tracking
Time Doctor helps employees report on every minute of their productive time with the manual time tracker.
Once the worker has set their tasks, all they need to do is hit Start or Stop on the time-tracker to track their work hours.
You also get an automatic time tracking option, where you can track time from the minute you turn on your PC.
2. Work Schedules
Time Doctor’s scheduling feature is the easiest way to create and edit employee schedules and shifts, all from one place.
Experience smooth employee scheduling with functionalities like:
- Add or delete single shifts or take bulk actions.
- Pick a different schedule for each employee.
- Generate .CSV file format for work schedules for easy sharing.
- Set permissions to allow only a select few to view or edit.
3. Attendance Reporting
Once you’ve added work schedules, you can monitor which employees are present, absent, or late in Time Doctor’s attendance report.
Besides attendance tracking, you’ll also be able to:
- Check who’s currently working with ‘shift underway’ status for an online employee.
- See what they’ve worked on during their work hours.
- Find out how many hours each individual employee worked during the day.
4. Productivity Reporting
Gain holistic insights into employee activities with Time Doctor’s detailed productivity reports.
Here are some of the reports available in Time Doctor:
- Activity Summary Report: Shows active time, down to the second, based on the devices used and time frame.
- Timeline Report: Reveals the time spent on tasks and time spent in breaks in daily and weekly formats.
- Projects & Tasks Report: Take note of employee’s project and task-wise break up of time usage.
- Hours Tracked Report: See the team’s total working hours in any specified date range.
- Web & App Usage Report: Displays the sites and applications used during work hours and how much time was spent on each of them.
- Custom Export: Pick and choose what data points you want to include in your report, and download it.
5. Invoicing And Payroll
A business owner or manager can make direct payments to your employee’s preferred payment gateway right from Time Doctor’s payroll feature.
You can also:
- Approve employee timesheets manually or automatically.
- Set currencies and pay periods according to your convenience and policies.
- Integrate with Gusto, PayPal, etc., for direct payments.
- Download payment information in XLS, CSV, or PDF formats.
- Smooth, easy-to-use interface.
- Supports both online and offline time tracking.
- Manual and automatic time tracking for high accuracy.
- All-in-one software for employee scheduling and monitoring.
- Option to set ‘productivity ratings’ for sites to track employee’s unproductive time.
- Can take screenshots and screencasts during employee’s work hours.
- Assign tasks and projects to employees.
- Privacy controls to prevent leakage of sensitive employee data.
- Idle time reports on each employee.
- Effortless invoice and payroll management.
- Powerful Chrome extension that integrates with tools like Asana, Jira, etc.
- Attentive customer support.
- Handy desktop apps for Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu, and an Android app.
Time Doctor offers a free 14-day trial that doesn’t require a credit card. Paid plans start as low as $8/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (180+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (330+ reviews)
Humanity is an employee scheduling solution that’s popular with healthcare brands for forecasting staffing needs. It can also automatically ensure that you’re compliant with the right scheduling labor laws, break times, and overtime.
- Integrate key business data to predict scheduling requirements.
- Automatically schedule shifts and communicate with employees.
- Let employees manage their schedules via mobile apps.
- Allow employees to request an open shift that has not been assigned to anyone.
- Limit employee overtime with time clock features.
Paid plans available starting at $3.5/user per month. Limited free plans are available for all tiers.
- G2: 4.3/5 (540+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (270+ reviews)
WorkTime is a dedicated scheduler and work time tracking app suitable for managing complex schedules. It also offers some employer-friendly features like an hours calculator.
- Easy shift entering for employees.
- Schedule alerts to remind users when shift timings are coming up.
- Excellent encryption levels for data security.
- Multi-tier system to ensure the data is not lost.
- Schedule sharing via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
Free for up to three employees. Paid plans start from $4.99/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (60+ reviews)
4. When I Work
When I Work offers easy scheduling features and a time clock app that lets you start tracking your employee’s work within 10 minutes. You can also alert employees of shift changes via push notifications on the mobile app.
This employee scheduling software is exclusively built for companies with shift-based schedules.
- Find out if an employee has seen their schedule.
- Shift and schedule templates for easy scheduling.
- Alerts for schedule conflict and schedule changes.
- Easy schedule editing from phone or desktop.
- Mobile device clock-in for employees.
Paid plans start at $2/user per month for basic scheduling and messaging features.
- G2: 4.4/5 (200+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (850+ reviews)
Calendly specifically caters to scheduling meetings with employees, clients, or other stakeholders. However, it can also be used as scheduling software to manage employee schedules.
- Automatically check employee availability before scheduling.
- Let employees vote for the best time slot.
- Automatically add gaps between meetings to allow for a breather.
- Collaborate with external stakeholders by sharing your Calendly link.
- Host multiple people for meetings and webinars.
Calendly offers a limited free plan. Its paid plans start from $10/user per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (930+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1440+ reviews)
Sling simplifies scheduling by combining planning and absence management features to reduce no-shows. It’s popularly used in the healthcare, hospitality, and retail sectors.
- Time off management and shift swapping for employees.
- Create a recurring shift schedule with a schedule template.
- ‘Unavailable’ slots that show when an employee is unable to work.
- Easy team communication via shift reminders and built-in messaging feature.
- News feed feature that updates everyone about shift scheduling.
- Android and iOS apps available.
Sling offers a free plan with basic features. Its paid plans begin at $2/user per month.
- G2: 4.2/5 (50+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (70+ reviews)
7. Google Calendar
Google Calendar is one of the most commonly used employee calendar apps. All you need to use this employee scheduling tool is a Google account.
- Easy to use, simple interface.
- Color-coded events, with suggestions to add participants.
- Weekly and monthly views for a complete picture of the schedule.
- Schedule changes available to users anytime, anywhere – with cloud-based sync.
- Unlimited free use on a personal account.
Google Calendar is part of the Google Workspace set of tools, which is free for personal users. Its business plans start at $6/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (1300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (380+ reviews)
The Doodle scheduling app can simplify the staff scheduling process by helping you invite participants to select their preferred time slots. Once the voting concludes, you can manually select the best option and arrange the meeting.
- Voting to decide the ideal meeting time for all.
- Doodle’s own Calendar feature supports seamless scheduling.
- Cloud-based interface for smoother schedule sharing with the staff.
- Automatic event scheduling on calendars of team members across devices.
- Basic messaging functions such as emails and phones.
Doodle’s paid plans begin at $6.95/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (2000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1000+ reviews)
Homebase is an online employee scheduling software that can help streamline hourly work for small and large teams. It also has a built-in timeclock, automatic scheduling, attendance tracking, and job tracking features.
- Reminders to employees about upcoming shifts.
- Easy copying of previous week’s shift schedule.
- Employees can update their availability and swap shifts easily.
- Tracks work hour activity on almost any device automatically.
- Mobile app for effortless scheduling.
Homebase’s paid plan starts at $19.95 per month, per location.
- G2: 4.2/5 (70+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (75+ reviews)
Connecteam’s scheduling software can save time and effort during the planning stages and keep the team updated in real-time. And all of this comes in an easy-to-use, mobile work schedule app.
- Single click shift assigning.
- Space for staff to give feedback, participate in surveys, or have live chats.
- GPS functionality to clock in and out of shifts.
- Functionality to add photos, videos, and notes to appointments.
- Message board for employees to update their statuses.
Connecteam has a ‘free for life’ plan with its most basic features. Their paid plans begin at $47/user per month for up to 200 users.
- G2: 3.8/5 (11 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (100+ reviews)
A great scheduling app is capable of saving you hundreds of hours in planning. It’s also critical to maintaining crystal clear communication with employees.
Overall, it reduces unnecessary overlaps in the scheduling process and enhances productivity.
On the other hand, picking an ineffective scheduling tool can cause unnecessary delays and reduce transparency.
So why not pick a powerful app that takes care of your scheduling needs as well as your time management, monitoring, and invoicing needs?
Sign up today for Time Doctor, which can do all this and more!
Liam Martin is a co-founder of Time Doctor—a time tracking and productivity monitoring software designed for tracking hours and productivity of remote teams.