Consider this scenario — you have a team that works onsite or visits the client’s office for a meeting. But since they’re away from the office, they can’t check in when they arrive.
You either have to call them to confirm their attendance or hope that they report their arrival time honestly.
Do you imagine yourself wishing for a better way to track attendance?
Fortunately, you can use an attendance app for employees.
In this article, we’ll discuss the key features, pricing, and user ratings of the ten best attendance apps to help you select the most appropriate software for your needs. We’ll also talk about the benefits of using an attendance app.
This Article Contains:
(click on a link to jump to a specific section)
- How Can You Track Employee Attendance
- 10 Best Attendance Tracking Apps For Employees
- Why Use An Attendance App For Employees?
How Can You Track Employee Attendance
Keeping a check on employee schedule, availability, and leaves is extremely crucial for the smooth functioning of any team.
And some of the most popular ways of tracking employees’ attendance include:
- Maintaining a traditional attendance register.
- Entering employee working hours on an Excel spreadsheet manually.
- Tracking the employee (especially a field employee) through a GPS tracking system.
- Swiping ID cards while clocking in and out.
- Using high-tech biometric systems like fingerprint and retina scans while logging in and out.
Manually entering employee hours in an Excel sheet or a register is now considered an outdated attendance system.
Instead, you can use attendance tracking software to automatically track your employees’ attendance, monitor overtime, and calculate the salary based on hours worked. This makes the job a lot easier and decreases the chances of human errors in the process.
But with several such software available today, which one should you pick?
Don’t worry. We’ve highlighted the ten best attendance apps for employees to help you decide quickly.
Top 10 Attendance Tracking Apps For Employees
Let’s explore the top ten attendance trackers in 2021, along with their key features, pricing, and user ratings:
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is a powerful employee performance management and time tracking software used by major companies, like Verizon and RE/MAX, as well as by small businesses, like Thrive Market, to enhance overall productivity.
Let’s take a look at how the Time Doctor app works:
A. Manual And Automatic Time Tracking
If you want to track employee work hours, your team just needs to start and stop the timer on the Time Doctor employee time clock as they begin and end their work.
If they forget to start the timer on some days, they can manually edit the time and add the missing time.
However, if this happens too often, you can opt for Time Doctor’s automatic time tracking feature. It starts tracking time the moment they turn on their PC.
B. Work Schedules
Time Doctor’s work schedule feature allows you to create and edit work schedules and shifts within the app.
The tracker also enables you to customize the shifts for each employee so that you can gain insights into their leaves and absences.
You can also:
- Save manual time by automatically creating and updating schedules.
- Monitor and manage workloads to avoid employee burnout.
- Manage workforce capacity by increasing employee visibility.
C. Attendance Reporting
Time Doctor’s attendance report shows employees as present, absent, partially absent, or late according to their shifts and schedules.
For example, if employee A has a shift at 8 am, but they check-in at 9 am — the report will display that they were late for that shift.
With the attendance report, you can also:
- Adjust schedules according to employee attendance
- See instant, real-time attendance data.
- View attendance records and workday activity in the same place.
- Assess performance with deeper insights into employee attendance.
Time Doctor has a payroll feature that enables you to pay your employees through the app directly.
You can pre-set the pay rates, currencies, and pay periods and pay the employees according to their tracked hours. Time Doctor also integrates with various payment tools like PayPal, Wise, etc., for easy payments.
- Online and offline time tracking.
- Set productivity ratings for any website and app.
- Comprehensive reports to track employee productivity.
- Can take screenshots of the computer screen to monitor the current activity of the user.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome operating systems.
- Feature-rich Android app.
- Integrates with 50+ apps like Asana, Trello, Basecamp, etc.
- Strict privacy and data security policies.
- Several employee-friendly monitoring features.
- Responsive customer support team.
Time Doctor offers a 14-day free trial (without requiring any credit card details.) The pricing starts as low as $8/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (180+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (300+ reviews)
TimeCamp is an employee attendance tracking app that also provides real-time employee tracking and comprehensive reports.
It’s a software-based employee attendance app that eliminates the need for punch-in time cards.
- Provides clock-in and clock-out using a single click.
- Enables employees to apply for leaves and vacation without any paperwork.
- Calculates payroll based on the tracked time and attendance.
- Integrates with other work management tools like Asana, Trello, Quickbooks, etc.
Offers a limited free plan. The paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (160+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (500+ reviews)
Harvest is an employee attendance tracker app that can monitor your team’s attendance, leaves and track time spent on tasks.
- Enables employees to manually start and stop the timer or fill in the timesheet app at the end of the day.
- Eliminates the need for manually entering attendance data.
- Provides automated reminders for consistent time tracking.
- Available as a desktop, Apple, and Android app.
Paid plans at $12/seat per month. It also offers a limited free plan for a single user.
- G2: 4.3/5 (700+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (400+ reviews)
Calamari is a leave management and attendance software solution. It also provides time tracking and project management functionalities.
- Provides multiple options for clock-in and clock-out such as QR code kiosk, mobile device app, etc.
- Enables employees to punch-in from any work location by using the punch clock app with GPS.
- Manage holidays and automate Paid Time Off (PTO) calculations.
- Set up different time-off policies for various countries and track vacations for remote employees.
This tracker offers a free trial. The leave management plan starts at $10/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (300+ reviews)
Hubstaff is a time and attendance tracker app with other advantages such as employee monitoring, detailed reporting, etc.
- Enables any field employee to clock-in and clock-out from any job site using geofencing.
- Send alerts about missed, abandoned, or late shifts.
- Track employee’s routes, time spent on each location, etc., using GPS tracking.
- Allows you to manage employee shifts and set schedules, review and approve PTO, etc.
Paid plans start at $7/user per month. It offers a limited free plan for a single user.
- G2: 4.4/5 (300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1000+ reviews)
6. Quickbooks Time
Quickbooks Time (previously TSheets) is an employee attendance tracker app for all types of teams. The attendance tracker helps streamline workflow and boost the overall productivity of your company.
- Uses GPS tracking to track an online timesheet.
- Eliminates buddy punching using biometric facial recognition and photo capture.
- Generates detailed reports such as payroll, project, employee hours and wage, etc.
- Complies with DCAA (Defence Contract Audit Agency) and DOL (Department Of Labor) standards.
The paid plan starts at $20/user per month with an additional base fee of $8/month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (1300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (5000+ reviews)
7. ZOHO People
Zoho People is a comprehensive HR solution. The tool offers various HR features like hiring, onboarding, attendance management, and more.
- Enables remote and onsite employees to mark attendance using facial recognition.
- Uses geofencing to provide access to confidential documents based on employee location.
- Provides absence scheduling that automatically converts absences to leaves.
- Integrates with biometric and other attendance devices using APIs for physical clock-in and clock-out.
Has a free plan that supports five users, and paid plans start at $1/user per month.
- G2: 4.2/5 (70+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (170+ reviews)
8. Time Clock Wizard
Time Clock Wizard is a cloud-based employee attendance tracking solution. It also provides leave management, employee scheduling, and payroll calculation.
- Enables employees to clock-in and clock-out on a tablet-based kiosk.
- Prevents buddy punching using photo capture during clock-in.
- Gives real-time updates about an unscheduled clock-in or clock-out.
- Provides a desktop app and also a mobile app for Android and iOS devices.
Provides a free employee attendance tracking plan for basic time tracking. Paid plans start at $34.95/month for up to 50 users.
- G2: 4.6/5 (50+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (80+ reviews)
Connecteam is an online employee attendance tracker app. It offers a customizable tracking app that enables managers to manage their team from anywhere at any time efficiently.
- Enables employees to clock-in and out from the mobile time clock app.
- Provides a timestamp and GPS location in real-time whenever an employee clocks in and out.
- Offers a kiosk attendance tracker app that enables the team members to log in from a single location using a personalized pin.
- Generates notifications for employee PTO and absence requests.
Paid plans start at $47/month (fixed price) for up to 200 employees.
- G2: 3.8/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (100+ reviews)
factoTime is a mobile attendance and time clock app. The tool offers features that enable you to track employee working hours, shifts, and attendance.
- Offers employee punch-in with selfie and location tracking or a QR code.
- Provides automated time capturing with various customizations.
- Provides multiple shift types, including day, night, and flexible shifts.
- Enables you to schedule multiple shifts at multiple locations.
Available for free as an Android or iOS app.
- G2: NA
- Capterra: NA
Check out some more popular employee attendance tracking apps in 2021.
Why Use An Attendance App For Employees?
An employee attendance tracking app enables your staff to conveniently track attendance, clock-in, and clock-out within seconds, accurately monitor overtime, and much more.
Most tracking software also integrates with other software like project management, payroll, etc.
That’s why an attendance tracking software can efficiently act as one of your major centers for work distribution and management.
Here are some additional benefits of using an attendance app:
- Increase employee satisfaction & productivity by creating precise payroll management.
- Enhance your cost management by ensuring appropriate allocation of resources.
- Ensure compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act that requires businesses to keep accurate records.
- Generate accurate invoices for sending to the clients based on hours worked on projects.
- Discourage unnecessary overtime by providing notifications and reminders about the shift time.
There are definite advantages of using an attendance app for employees, regardless of your company’s size.
However, selecting the best one for your team may not be such an easy task.
Use the comprehensive review above as a guide for shortlisting a few tools. You can then sign up for their free trial or free plan to see if it works for you.
But if you want an all-in-one attendance tracking, payroll, and productivity management solution, Time Doctor is the tool for you.
So why not sign up for Time Doctor’s 14-day free trial and experience it yourself?
Liam Martin is a co-founder of Time Doctor—a time tracking and productivity monitoring software designed for tracking hours and productivity of remote teams.