Agile methodology is a process that breaks down large problems or projects into small, actionable tasks. It then uses simple planning, collaboration, and flexibility to complete them.
Many organizations implement time tracking to bring more structure and accountability to the agile work processes.
So how does agile time tracking help?
A good time tracker can accurately track the time projects take, help allocate resources, and boost productivity. This way, agile teams can focus on team productivity, customer satisfaction, and seamless workflows.
In this article, we’ll discuss agile time tracking advantages in detail and explore nine time tracking tools you can use for your agile projects.
Table of Contents
- 3 Incredible Benefits of Agile Time Tracking
- Top 9 Agile Time Tracking Apps
3 Incredible Benefits of Agile Time Tracking
Excellent time trackers like Time Doctor can enhance your projects by tracking progress, time spent on each task, and appropriately allocating resources.
Here are a few other ways tracking time can improve your agile project management:
1. Improved Processes
Having all the information about your multiple projects in one place helps agile teams work faster and adapt more quickly.
Time tracking software also includes project management tools like Gantt chart, Kanban boards, etc. These tools include information on various projects, their timelines, current status, etc.
This way, these tracking tools will help you allocate resources, identify bottlenecks, and make your agile project management more efficient.
2. Efficient Profitability Projection
In order to keep your agile projects profitable, you need to be picky about the projects you choose to spend your time and resources on.
For this, you need to estimate the project costs and the revenue it’ll generate. This is where a good time tracker comes in handy.
Many time tracking solutions come with an insightful agile board that gives a centralized view of multiple projects, Gantt charts, story points, sprints, etc.
Over time, you’ll have historical data of the number of hours and resources each task required – helping you draw estimates for a similar future agile project. Agile teams can use such time tracking data to save costs and boost productivity.
3. Accurate Billing
Accurately tracking time for agile teams is directly related to accurate billing and invoicing. It helps teams:
- Bill clients accurately according to employees’ billable hours.
- Automate invoices at fixed intervals like weekly, monthly, etc.
- Check if the project is within the budget.
You can achieve this with a powerful time tracker that’ll monitor your billable and non-billable hours without interrupting your workflow.
Most agile teams charge hourly or monthly to accommodate their flexible work environments. Using the same wage rate, time management apps can generate automated timesheets and invoices.
This way, you can save time and accurately bill your clients without compromising your agile processes.
Next, let’s look at some time tracking apps you can try for your agile team.
Top 9 Agile Time Tracking Apps
Here are nine time tracking tools to save time, boost productivity, and track the progress of your agile teams.
1. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is a time tracking and project management software preferred by both large businesses like Ericsson as well as small businesses like Thrive Market.
It’s one of the best time tracking software for your agile tools as it integrates task management features along with its time tracker into your agile workflows.
With Time Doctor, you can track the team’s progress in real-time, automate tasks like billing to improve sprint velocity, and access detailed time reports to boost performances.
Here are some of the best Time Doctor features that will be invaluable additions to your agile development processes:
A. Time Tracking
An agile work environment would require a flexible time tracker like Time Doctor. It offers both manual and automatic time tracking for you to choose from according to your agile team’s needs.
In the interactive or manual mode, your employees can decide when to start and stop the timer according to their work hours.
Here’s how it works:
- Open Time Doctor and enter the task’s name or select a task.
- Click Start when you’re ready to begin.
- Click Stop when you’re done or need to pause.
With the automatic time tracker, the timer tracks computer usage from the moment your employees turn on their desktops. This way, your employees don’t have to bother turning the time tracker on and off every time they start work.
It’ll track your employees’ sprints in the background without disturbing their workflows.
B. Project and Task Tracking
Time Doctor lets you allocate projects to your agile teams, track individual tasks, and help in project management.
The tool lets you create a main project and break it into smaller, specific tasks.
Here’s how to do it:
- Select Project/Tasks in Settings.
- Click on Add Project and create a new project.
- Then in the Tasks tab, click on New Task to create as many small tasks as you wish.
- Select your project assignees on the People tab.
This way you can break down your projects into smaller tasks according to agile metrics. You can then assign it to your employees and track those tasks easily.
C. Reports and Analytics
The Agile Manifesto calls for continuous improvement of agile development processes through data visualization, reports, dashboards, etc.
Time Doctor makes this process simple by generating comprehensive reports based on the time tracking data. With these reports, you can track your team’s progress objectively and understand where you’re spending the most time, without affecting the team’s workflow.
Here are some reports offered by Time Doctor:
- Activity Summary Report: Reports employees’ active minutes, idle minutes, manual time, and mobile login.
- Project and Tasks Report: Details the time spent on various tasks and projects.
- Attendance Report: Tracks when a team member is present, absent, late, etc., according to their login information.
- Web and App usage Report: Shows the number of hours an employee spends on various websites and applications.
D. Payroll Management
Since the agile work process involves a lot of steps and processes, manual payroll generation may be inaccurate and time-consuming.
To counteract this, Time Doctor offers automated payroll management using powerful time tracking data. Additionally, integrate Time Doctor with payment gateways like Paywise, Wire, etc., to automate pay to your agile teams.
You can also customize several payroll details, such as:
- Pay period which is open you giving word is you give
- Payment currencies
- Payment method.
- Allow employees to track their time offline when their Internet is down.
- Access screenshots of employees’ monitors during their working hours.
- Export reports in CSV or XLS formats for easy storage.
- Monitor all websites and apps used by employees in real-time during work time.
- Pays bills and salaries accurately with automated payroll management.
- Track time across various platforms like Asana, Github, Jira, etc., via Chrome extensions.
- Compatible with Android, Windows, macOS, and Linux operating systems.
Time Doctor offers a 14-day free trial without any credit card information. Its paid plans begin at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (265+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (395+ reviews)
Trello is a web-based agile tool and project management software that lets you manage tasks as well as projects effortlessly.
It offers a Scrum board-like view of your tasks or backlogs to track their present sprint or progress.
- Monitor time with its time tracking Power-Up feature.
- Break down, organize, and assign tasks easily with Trello cards.
- Create custom buttons to build automation processes.
- Use templates for an agile board, design project board, etc., saving the time taken to create a new one.
Trello offers a free version with limited features. Its paid model starts at $5/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (12,500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (20,500+ reviews)
TrackingTime is a cloud-based time tracker and task management system. It offers web, mobile, as well as desktop apps to organize your tasks, track time, and boost productivity.
TrackingTime is flexible and offers intuitive features like time batching to help you in your agile workspace.
- Use filters to categorize your time data.
- Drag and drop tasks on a calendar board for easy task management.
- View employees’ productivity reports on its Pace board feature.
- Integrate TrackingTime with agile apps like Asana, Jira, Redbooth, etc.
TrackingTime offers a free version. Its paid model is priced at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.2/5 (15+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (30+ reviews)
Replicon is a project cost and time tracking management system that helps agile development teams scale their profitability efficiently.
Everyone, from freelancers to large business enterprises, can use the tool to track their agile projects. Its mobile app is available for iPhone and Android devices.
- Track actual time and resources spent against estimates to get more visibility into projects.
- Access project data online and offline even without an internet connection.
- Give access to the project manager, clients, etc., to fast-track timesheet data approval.
- Integrate with any business software like Jira, Quickbooks, Google Calendar, etc.
Replicon offers a free 14-day trial for some of its products. Its paid models start from $3/user per month.
- G2: 4.2/5 (500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (400+ reviews)
5. Toggl Plan
Toggl Plan offers a user-friendly and reliable project management system.
With this tool, you can do project sprint planning, track productivity, and bring your agile team together on a single platform to work efficiently in sync.
- Track time on Toggl Plan by integrating with Toggl Track’s free plan.
- Assign multiple employees to a task.
- Allot the right projects to team members by visualizing workflow and resources.
- Use the Taskbox feature to store project and task ideas for future use.
Toggl Plan offers a 14-day free trial. The paid models start at $9/user per month.
- G2: 4.3/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
ActiTime is an agile project management software that helps your team collaborate and communicate seamlessly to deliver quality results.
It helps an agile team manage its resources, identify bottlenecks, and boost productivity.
- Track time online and offline with its timesheets.
- Synchronize time tracking data with payroll systems for easy billing and invoicing.
- Monitor work progress and productivity with kanban boards.
- Customize every feature like work schedules, work rates, etc. according to your needs.
ActiTime offers a free model. Its paid models start from $6/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (80+ reviews)
7. Time Cockpit
Time Cockpit is another time tracking tool that helps freelancers, startups, and small agile remote teams track their time as well as maximize their billable hours.
It offers time tracking, project estimation, customizable data model, etc., to improve agile workflows.
- Track work hours automatically with the Signal tracker functionality.
- Enjoy privacy with its encrypted activity log.
- Save custom templates for easy time sheet entry.
- Customize various features like timesheets, reports, user interface, etc., to suit your project’s needs.
Try out Time Cockpit with its 30-day free trial. The paid model’s prices are available on request.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
8. Tempo Time Tracking
Tempo integrates with Jira to help agile development teams manage their projects efficiently.
It tracks progress, collects data for invoicing, generates detailed time reports, and offers project road mapping for effortless workflows in agile software development.
- Track billable hours with its intuitive timesheets.
- Allocate resources and employees efficiently with the Tempo planner.
- Customize reports to support operational needs such as R&D tax refunds.
- Track the total cost and expense of a project.
Tempo offers a 30-day free trial. Pricing plans are available on request.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (150+ reviews)
7pace is a time management tool that’s ideal for organizations that use Azure DevOps, Azure Boards, and Github.
With its on-premise and cloud-based time tracking, engineers can track time, manage tasks, and access work reports.
- Set your time tracker to start or stop on predetermined triggers, events, or a work item.
- Compare the time estimate vs. actual time taken by projects.
- Keep every team member updated on projects with its insightful dashboard and reports.
- Build a custom application, process, or system with its CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) programming interface.
7pace offers a 28-day free trial. Its pricing plan starts at $6/user per month.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
The agile project management methodology brings people, processes, technology, and innovation together to find the most efficient solutions.
However, the success of agile methodology largely depends on how well you manage productivity and time.
This is why you need a powerful time tracker like Time Doctor to help you manage your time and focus on your prioritized tasks. It also offers advanced features like comprehensive, insightful reports, project planning, timesheets, etc., making it an all-in-one tool.
Sign up for Time Doctor’s free trial today for effortless time management that will boost your agile team productivity in no time!