Want to know the difference between ActivTrak vs Teramind?
If you’re looking for an effective way to track time and monitor what your team does on the job, these two tools may have what you need.
However, their features are quite similar, making it challenging to choose between them.
But don’t worry, we’re here to help!
In this article, we’ll provide you with a feature-by-feature comparison of ActivTrak vs Teramind so you can determine which tool best fits your requirements.
This Article Contains:
(Click on the links below to go to a specific section)
- What is ActivTrak?
- What is Teramind?
- ActivTrak vs Teramind Comparison
- An Easier Way to Monitor Productivity
- The Final Verdict
What is ActivTrak?
ActivTrak is an employee monitoring tool that enables businesses to track time and gain insights into employee performance, whether they’re remote employees or in-office staff.
With its range of team monitoring features and analytics, ActivTrak’s primary focus is on increasing productivity.
It’s suitable for running employee tracking processes in small, medium, and large organizations. Freelancers can also use ActivTrak to be more productive.
ActivTrak is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux and offers Chrome and Firefox extensions. You also get an Android and iOS app to view reports and monitor your team when you’re on the go.
What is Teramind?
Teramind is an employee monitoring software that you can use to protect sensitive company data. It’s utilized by companies that want to ensure employee compliance with company and government regulations.
Teramind also offers useful productivity optimization tools, including customizable reporting features.
As an ActivTrak alternative, Teramind is more suited to companies interested in employee activity monitoring rather than freelancers looking to monitor their productivity.
Teramind is compatible with Windows, Citrix, VMWare, and Mac operating systems. And while Teramind has mobile apps for Android and iOS devices, their functionality is limited.
ActivTrak vs Teramind Comparison
1. Time Tracking
Here’s how these tools help you keep track of your team’s time:
ActivTrak is a popular solution for user activity monitoring.
You’ll first need to download and install the ActivTrak agent (the monitoring software) on the employee’s computer.
ActivTrak then tracks time automatically and collects user information silently in the background. It senses mouse and keyboard activity and records this data.
In addition to recording time worked, it collects data about employee activity and productivity, such as:
- Idle time
- Sick leave and PTO (Paid Time Off)
- Late shifts
The collected data can be viewed from the Dashboard or Activity Log.
Let’s take a quick look at both:
This is the first thing you’ll see when you sign in.
Here you can view a quick summary of your team’s activities, and other valuable data, such as:
- Popular websites and apps used by your team.
- How much time a team member spent on each app or website.
- Time spent on tools relevant to the job.
2) Activity Log
You can also view the information collected in the Activity Log.
ActivTrak breaks down employee activity according to the time recorded. This makes it easy to go back and check what an employee was doing at any given time.
It also reflects which sites and apps they visited and the time spent on them.
This monitoring solution can also track time silently in the background with or without your employee’s knowledge.
From the data collected, you can see:
- Whether an employee was absent or late.
- The number of hours they worked.
- Which websites they visited.
Information regarding time tracked is accessible from the main Dashboard.
Here, the employee hours are categorized as session time, work time, productive time, unproductive time, active/idle time, etc.
ActivTrak and Teramind track time automatically and present employee data in a similar manner. Both tools track time for employee monitoring purposes.
2. Productivity Management
Let’s look at how these two solutions can streamline workflow and improve productivity:
ActivTrak’s productivity dashboards and reports let you see how employees get work done.
Here are activity tracking features that help manage productivity:
1) Daily Team Pulse
You can access the Team Pulse from the widget at the top of the Dashboard. It shows individual and team productivity and their ‘availability’ status.
You can see productivity metrics (including active time and top activities) in real-time for all individuals throughout the day.
Note: Only users with the Advanced plan can access this feature.
2) Productivity Reports
Teramind offers two types of productivity reports:
- Bar chart: Reflects the passive (idle) time, uncategorized activities, unproductive activities, and productive activities.
- Single day: Displays an aggregate of a day’s activities.
The Productivity Reports feature shows the productive, unproductive, active, and idle time for each employee and their salary amount.
This lets you evaluate whether employees are performing adequately for the amount of money the company is paying them.
While both ActivTrak and Teramind have productivity monitoring functions, ActivTrak analyzes employee behavior so that you can maximize productivity. In contrast, Teramind shows how productive an employee is in relation to their salary.
3. Employee Monitoring
Businesses need to monitor their employees to maintain operational efficiency.
Here are a few of the ways these solutions help you monitor your team:
ActivTrak’s employee monitoring solution lets you track which apps and websites your employees spend time on.
The Screenshot Monitoring feature enables you to see what your team is working on during work hours.
You can also protect sensitive information with Screenshot Redaction, which obscures sensitive information within the image. However, this is an add-on feature.
Additionally, any screen content that introduces compliance vulnerabilities is flagged.
Teramind gives you the option to inform your employees that you’re monitoring them.
However, it also allows you to track your employees without their knowledge.
Usually, it’s best to go with the former option – so you can avoid invading any employee privacy rights.
With Teramind, you can:
- Monitor an employee’s desktop in real-time and access screen recordings of their past activities. This way, you can see exactly what they’re doing at any time of the day.
- Record audio from their computer speaker or microphone. These recordings can be downloaded or exported as video files later.
- Track all your team’s online activity, not just the websites and apps they use.
- Monitor their email activity, messages, file transfers, online meetings, keystrokes, social media activity, etc.
Both ActivTrak and Teramind let you monitor and record what your team is doing in real-time.
Note that Teramind stores every keystroke – which can lead to huge security risks. If you use Teramind at the workplace, you’ll need to inform your employees about the keystroke logging feature.
4. Compliance and Security
These solutions focus heavily on compliance with company and legal regulations, Data Loss Prevention (DLP), and insider threat detection.
They generate powerful user behavior analytics to keep your company information secure.
Here’s how both of them approach compliance and security:
A. ActivTrak Compliance and Security
This is how ActivTrak monitors user behavior:
1) Web and App Usage
With ActivTrak, you can see the websites and apps visited by your team, including those that may present a risk to your data security.
You can identify software and apps that have become functionally redundant, so you can phase them out or cancel their subscriptions. You can also block whichever websites or apps you choose.
2) Activity Alarms
With Activity Alarms, you can customize a set of conditions to fit your company’s requirements.
This function enables you to:
- Limit or block social media site usage
- Receive alerts about any USB device activity to protect the copying of sensitive data.
- Determine user risk scores with severity levels to understand activities that don’t comply with company policies.
3) Activity Visibility for Data Privacy & Compliance
ActivTrak shows detailed activity for each user, documenting how they handle sensitive data.
You can see specific user activity to confirm if they are staying compliant with company regulations.
When a breach does occur, you can quickly pinpoint who’s responsible.
Here’s how Teramind aims to protect your company against compliance and security threats:
1) User and Entity Behaviour Analytics
With this feature, you’ll be alerted whenever an employee, client, or freelancer engages in suspicious activity.
2) Remote Desktop Control
If your employee is copying unauthorized files, leaking company secrets, etc., you can gain access and control their desktop.
By manually overriding their account, you can ensure that you contain the activity and eliminate potential threats.
3) File Transfer, Messaging, Printing, and Email Tracking
With Teramind, you can monitor all file activity, such as file creation, deletion, access, or write operations. This way, you can enforce company policy and control what information is shared outside of the organization by your team.
Teramind will notify you when files are uploaded to cloud storage tools Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive, etc.
You can also block read or write access to specific folders on USB storage devices or local drives to protect sensitive information.
4) Session Mining with OCR (Optional Character Recognition)
Teramind uses OCR to recognize text inside images, including photos and scanned documents. OCR is the technology used to convert images (e.g., a digital photo) into machine-readable text data.
With this advanced feature, you can:
- Receive an alert when a user sees a full credit card number on the screen.
- Determine how many times they viewed sensitive information – passwords, bank details, etc.
With Teramind, you can enforce two-factor authentication for added security.
This means that employees need two types of information (a PIN and password) when they need to log in.
While ActivTrak has the features to ensure employees are compliant with company rules, Teramind’s functionality is far more in-depth when it comes to risk detection and security.
Reports are a great way to measure and track workforce productivity.
Both of these tools offer several reports. Let’s take a closer look at them:
1) Time Reports
- Single Day Productivity: This productivity tracking report shows you what your team is doing throughout the day.
- Idle Time/Passive Time: Shows working hours where the app detects no keyboard or mouse activity.
2) Security Reports
- Alarm Log: Allows administrators to see every time an employee triggers an alarm.
Alarms are rules set by the employer. If employees break the rule, ActivTrak sends admins a notification.
- Security Audit Log: Monitors logins and changes made on any account. It also shows deletions, alarm creations, etc.
3) Web and App Usage Reports
- Activity Log: Shows any website accessed, app opened, login and log out times, and passive time.
- Application Usage: Identify which employees are using a specific software at any given time.
- Top Websites: Shows which websites your employees visit often and how long they spend on them.
Teramind also offers several reports that fall within four main categories:
- Monitoring Reports: Shows all the activities of an employee, including file transfers, emails, video exports, keystrokes, etc.
- Risk Reports: Company-wide risk assessment reports that show the riskiest users, rules, and sites or apps.
- Productivity Reports: Indicates productive, unproductive, active, and idle time for each employee and amount spent on their wages.
- Business Intelligence Reports: Shows information about online activity, task and project activity, etc.
Because these two solutions focus on employee monitoring and security, they both have an impressive range of reports to analyze employee behavior, gauge employee productivity, and detect risks.
Here’s how much these two tools cost:
A. ActivTrak Pricing
Paid plans begin at $7.20/user per month (billed annually). However, there is a freemium plan for a maximum of three users.
B. Teramind Pricing
The paid basic plan begins at $5.35/user per month (on-premise solution) and $10.72 per user per month (cloud solution).
Both ActivTrak and Teramind have competitive price plans given the features they offer. Unlike Teramind, ActivTrak provides a free plan for very small teams or solopreneurs.
An Easier Way to Monitor Productivity
We’ve compared ActivTrak and Teramind on time tracking, productivity management, employee monitoring, compliance, reporting, and pricing.
But, there’s another tool that you should also be considering…
It’s called Time Doctor, and it does a lot more than just basic time tracking.
What is Time Doctor?
Time Doctor is a robust employee time tracking and productivity management tool used by large companies like Ericsson as well as small businesses like Firehouse Subs.
With Time Doctor, you can:
- Effortlessly track employee time – manually or automatically.
- Generate several precise reports to gain valuable insights.
- Use screenshots to see what your team is working on in real-time.
- Classify websites based on productivity ratings.
- Initiate payroll for employees quickly and easily.
Time Doctor doesn’t track keyboard strokes (like Teramind) because excessive employee data collection can lead to privacy breaches.
And that’s not all.
You can also blur employee screenshots to block out sensitive information.
This makes Time Doctor a safer and more employee-friendly tool.
It has a desktop app for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems and a mobile app for Android devices. Its Chrome browser extension lets you seamlessly track time across several apps.
How much does it cost?
Time Doctor’s basic plan starts at just $8 per user, per month. There’s also a free trial available (no credit card required).
The Final Verdict
While ActivTrak and Teramind are similar employee tracking software, they have some major differences.
Teramind focuses on keeping employees in line with company policies and preventing data loss. And ActivTrak helps you track employee productivity and performance.
But if you want a more straightforward tool with advanced productivity management functionality, we recommend Time Doctor. It has all the features you need for non-intrusive time tracking and productivity management.
Ultimately, it’s up to you to choose the best tool for your business based on your requirements and budget.
- What You Need to Know About Performance Appraisal Methods in 2021 -
- How to Track Team Productivity and Improve Performance in 2021 -
- 10 Excellent Attendance Tracking Software In 2021 (Features, Pricing) -
- 5 Top-Tier Time Tracking Tools For Freelancers In 2021 -
- Top 10 Team Productivity Tools In 2021 (Features, Pricing) -